Thread: Negative ENA results... Does this mean it's not Lupus?

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default Negative ENA results... Does this mean it's not Lupus?

Is it possible to have negative ENA results and Anti-DNA and still have Lupus? I have been having symptoms for a over a year now and I thought I was finally on to something. I have a positive ANA and many of the Lupus symptoms. But my doctor called me today and said that he didn't feel I needed to see a Rheumatologist based on my negative ENA and Anti-DNA. I'm just making sure that this is fully true, before I stop pushing to see the Rheumatologist.
    Remember: We are eternal. All this pain is an illusion.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Did you mean negative ANA??? If so, yet it is possible to have Lupus with negative ANA. In fact, it is called "Negative ANA Lupus". This is a condition in which a person’s ANA – or antinuclear anitbody – test comes back negative, but the person exhibits traits consistent with someone diagnosed with lupus.
    The ANA test is used to screen for lupus, not to diagnose it or to dismiss it.

Let me know if this was, in fact, the question that you were asking.

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

ENA is also known as an ANA with Reflex.

Basically, if your ANA is positive, then run more specific antibody tests (SSA/SSB, etc.)--what exactly they run can vary from lab to lab, but they're geared for testing for lupus and similar rheumatic diseases (actually, I think some places may run the other antibody tests even if your ANA is negative, not sure on that).

While there is no test that can rule lupus in or out, the negative results make is less likely. However, sometimes symptoms preceed positive/abnormal test results.
    Last edited by Dar; 05-19-2010 at 02:41 PM.
    --Dar
    Neuropsychiatric (aka CNS) Lupus