Thread: My biopsy report....help me read this in english please!

Thanks

Default My biopsy report....help me read this in english please!

so shes saying its consistant with bug bites but there is a question mark before insect bites in the clinical data?

word for word

Diagnosis: Right arm punch: features consistant with arthropod bite reaction, see comment.

Comment: Also included in the histologic differential diagnoses are nonspecific papular urticaria with excoriative changes, urtcarial drug eruption, and urticarial phase of autoimmune bullos disease among possibilities, to be considered only if clinically appropriate

Microscopic description: Multiple sections including deeper levels are examined. There is a central small sharply demarcated focus of necrosis of the epidermisand superficial papillary dermis, with associated netriphils. There is a moderate to mild superficial and deep pervascular lymphocytic infiltrate with eosinophils. PAS stains are negative for fungal organisms. TE:rag

Clinical data: ? insect bite, urtcaria. History of being employed with animals c/o itching and rash mostly on arms and legs.

Gross description: The specimin is recieved fixative and it consists of a skin punch measuring 0.2 cm in diameter and 0.2 cm in depth. the specimen is submitted intact in one cassette, marked 1P. HAM:rc

88312 x1-795.4
    88305 x1-795.4

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Hi Maegan,

I'll give it a shot...

Diagnosis: Right arm punch: features consistant with arthropod bite reaction, see comment.
    This means the symptoms you present with are in the Dr.'s opinion consistent with an allergic reaction to a bug bite.

Comment: Also included in the histologic differential diagnoses are nonspecific papular urticaria with excoriative changes, urtcarial drug eruption, and urticarial phase of autoimmune bullos disease among possibilities, to be considered only if clinically appropriate
    The term Differential Diagnoses is a method used to identify the cause of a patients symptoms through the process of elimination. The conditions mentioned such as Autoimmune Bullos Disease are possible alternate causes of your symptoms that they have basically ruled out for the time being unless new clinically appropriate symptoms or indicators develop.

Microscopic description: Multiple sections including deeper levels are examined. There is a central small sharply demarcated focus of necrosis of the epidermisand superficial papillary dermis, with associated netriphils. There is a moderate to mild superficial and deep pervascular lymphocytic infiltrate with eosinophils. PAS stains are negative for fungal organisms. TE:rag
    Necrosis of the Epidermis and Superficial Papillary Dermis means there are dead skin cells in the top layer of skin (Epidermis), and the next layer underneath it (Dermis). Neutrophils are the most common type of white blood cell, and are a vital part of the immune system. Their presence can indicate a bacterial infection. Pervascular Lymphocytic Infiltrate means there are white blood cells (Lymphocytes) clustered around blood vessels, usually in response to bacterial infection. Eosinophils are another common type of white blood cell. The Periodic acid Schiff (PaS) stain is a test to determine the presence of a fungal infection.

Clinical data: ? insect bite, urtcaria. History of being employed with animals c/o itching and rash mostly on arms and legs.
    Urticaria is simply the medical term for hives

Gross description: The specimin is recieved fixative and it consists of a skin punch measuring 0.2 cm in diameter and 0.2 cm in depth. the specimen is submitted intact in one cassette, marked 1P. HAM:rc
    This is a description of the type and format of the skin sample that was tested.

Basically, what I get out of this is they think that you had an allergic reaction to a bug bite that caused hives. Unfortunately I don't know what the question mark in the clinical data means. I've translated the report to the best of my ability, but please keep in mind that I am not a Dr. and some of my info could be inaccurate. Hope this helps.

Rob
    Last edited by rob; 05-06-2010 at 12:02 PM.

Thanks

thank you! well the derm says ALL my hives are bug bites which is rediculous. And they dont know about all my other symptoms, only my rhuemy does. I guess we will see when i go back to the doc

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Maegan View Post
    thank you! well the derm says ALL my hives are bug bites which is rediculous. And they dont know about all my other symptoms, only my rhuemy does. I guess we will see when i go back to the doc
    don't lose hope! I went to a highly recommended dermy once who made me wait almost 2 hours for my appointment (which sent my blood sugar crashing since they insisted I come in that day and it was right at my normal dinner time and I have diabetes) and then the doc walked in, acted all annoyed that I complained about how long I was there when his office insisted I come in that day (I offered to come the next day), glanced at my arm and instantly proclaimed I had uticaria from bed bugs. I even suggested to him "could I be allergic to my allergy medicine since the formulary was changed when it went over the counter" and was laughed off with a no, of course not, it's bed bugs. (BTW - It was the allergy med which I later confirmed with another doctor). No labs, no deep probing looks, no medical history taken. After I insisted that could not be, which it wasn't, he dismissed with a "well that's my opinion and if you don't like it, I would suggest you get another opinion". And I had to be paid to be treated that way!!! Don't give up or lose hope.

sandy
    As long as this body works, I am going to enjoy life to the fullest for each second of every moment that I can.

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SandyR View Post
    don't lose hope! I went to a highly recommended dermy once who made me wait almost 2 hours for my appointment (which sent my blood sugar crashing since they insisted I come in that day and it was right at my normal dinner time and I have diabetes) and then the doc walked in, acted all annoyed that I complained about how long I was there when his office insisted I come in that day (I offered to come the next day), glanced at my arm and instantly proclaimed I had uticaria from bed bugs. I even suggested to him "could I be allergic to my allergy medicine since the formulary was changed when it went over the counter" and was laughed off with a no, of course not, it's bed bugs. (BTW - It was the allergy med which I later confirmed with another doctor). No labs, no deep probing looks, no medical history taken. After I insisted that could not be, which it wasn't, he dismissed with a "well that's my opinion and if you don't like it, I would suggest you get another opinion". And I had to be paid to be treated that way!!! Don't give up or lose hope.

sandy
    Wow, I've known morticians with a better bedside manner than that!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

rob - needless to say, he is no longer my doctor.
    As long as this body works, I am going to enjoy life to the fullest for each second of every moment that I can.

Thanks

I would have paid him a dollar a month till the bill was paid off. What a jerk!