Thread: Exposure to chemicals

Thanks

Default Exposure to chemicals

Hi all,
    i was having a flare so started seaching the interenet & found this site. I am a guy in my late 40's with 3 kids etc. I have been living with this for a long time & reading some of the posts i relise mine is not as severe as others. I manage it by taking 7mg of prednisalone & bump it up a bit in a flare.
    It was interesting to see some of the comments about finding it difficult to provide a living and sometimes have that problem too, everyone thinks your lazy when your really pushing yourself & feel like crap.
    One post that interested me was i guy who was exposed to mek a solvent, i used to use this in my younger days in the aircraft industry & wondered if any others had this experience. Maybe its toxic & triggered something

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Hello iano,

I'm Rob, and I was diagnosed with SLE in 2004. I think the post you read might have been written by me. If not, I used to handle a bunch of different hazardous materials, including MEK. I worked in the firearms industry for many years, and handled many different solvents, as well as heavy metals such as lead and depleted uranium. My mother also has SLE, so I believe there is a definite genetic factor in play. And I believe my handling of chemicals was the trigger that when combined with my genetic pre-disposition, caused my Lupus. I've done quite a bit of amateur "research" on this subject, and there is alot of info pointing towards the possibility of hazardous materials being a Lupus trigger, but there's no real scientific proof at this point unfortunately.

Rob

BTW-Welcome to our group!

Thanks

I grew up in an industrial area - three oil refineries, a chemical company, an ammunition factory, a steel works factory and a glass works factory all within a few miles of my childhood home.
    Like Rob, I also saw what could only be AI issues in my mother's family. I agree with Rob, I think that it is a genetic pre-disposition, coupled with those environmental triggers.
    I recently went to the Sjogren's Clinic at UC San Francisco, and the wonderful rheumatologist that I saw there said the very same thing.
    Hugs,
    Marla

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I lived on multiple AF bases as a young child, spent a lot of my childhood in NYC (pollutant central), spent a year at an elementary school next door to a chemical factory that I had to walk past to get to and from school and lived 2 blocks from, my 7-12grade years were in a building built on an old dump site, I worked in a mechanical engineering building in college and touched all sorts of fun solvents there, and that doesn't even count all the big and little environmental triggers we have all dealt with like ocean pollution and pesticides on our fruits and vegetables and over-chemically-stimulated houses full of cleaners and detergents. There is a good book by Donna Jackson Nakazawa called the Autoimmune Epidemic that discussed this very thing and how there are whole communities of people cropping up with specific autoimmune disease rates rising. http://www.donnajacksonnakazawa.com/...e_epidemic.htm
    As long as this body works, I am going to enjoy life to the fullest for each second of every moment that I can.

Thanks

oh, yes
    that is my experience. I had an unfortunate accident with pesticides. You can read about it here. http://autoimmunity.webs.com/lupussufferer.htm