Thread: strong body odor

Thanks

Default strong body odor

hi everyone,
    it's been a while since the last post. i still have no diagnosis. i thought i might ask this question here and see what kind of responses i get before asking my doctor. i've had a really strong body odor for a couple of years now. it just started quickly and hasn't went away since. i sweat more than i used to and i apply deodorant/antiperspirant twice a day sometimes. this is just an all over odor not just armpits, almost like my natural body odor has just changed. its quite embarassing. sometimes i shower twice a day. and i don't dare even think about skipping a shower if i get up late in the morning. if i go without a shower i feel like pepi la phew(pretty sure i spelled that wrong) in one of those cartoons where everyone passes out when he walks by. CAN ANYBODY HELP? any and all answers will be appreciated. thanks.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

What can of meds are you on? Sometimes the medication you're taking whether it's over the counter or prescribed can change your body chemistry... I KNOW for a fact. I'm in the same boat you're in pjresses. Ever since I've been taking depakote my body has been reakin' like an onion or garlic. I bathe twice sometimes three times a day and I drench myself in perfume and BO smell good (aka all of deodorant). Plus... you can smell yourself better than others can. It's stronger to you than anyone else. I'm sorry I don't have an answer for you but I KNOW what you're going through and you have my sympathy and prayers.
    A stranger is only family you haven't met yet.

Thanks

Not sure I can help you but this might be worth a try until you see your doctor. Years ago I had a doctor that said she used a vinegar solution in the summer that is 50/50 water and vinegar. Spray on after your bath let it stay a few minutes and then rinse off. The smell of vinegar is strong but if its bacteria or yeast on your skin it should help. I definitely would mention this to the doctor. Vinegar is cheap and it'd be worth a try.

Thanks

i haven't been taking any meds lately. i will definitely try the vinegar solution. at this point i can't smell any worse right? thanks guys!

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

I agree that it may have something to do with your medications. I have also heard about the vinegar/water spray and that it works well.

I am, naturally, very oily and, as such, if I am not careful I can develop a body odor. When I was a pre-teen, I was told to always bath with anti-bacterial soaps. Doing so has kept me from developing body odor.
    I have never used the vinegar/water solution, but I do use an 80/20 solution of bleach and water in the summer when I tend to sweat a bit more. I spray it on my body after washing with the anti-bacterial soap, let it sit for a while and then rinse off thoroughly. I know that it works because if I have even one (1) day when I cannot follow this regimen, I develop the odor.
    I will say this, however. I can smell my odor..but when I ask my husband, he says that he cannot smell anything other than my natural body odor which he thought (when we first met) was a type of perfume that I used. I think that we, ourselves, are much more sensitive to our body odor than others are.
    I hope that you find an answer for the cause or, at the very least, a solution that works for you.

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saysusie View Post
    I have never used the vinegar/water solution, but I do use an 80/20 solution of bleach and water in the summer when I tend to sweat a bit more. I spray it on my body after washing with the anti-bacterial soap, let it sit for a while and then rinse off thoroughly. I know that it works because if I have even one (1) day when I cannot follow this regimen, I develop the odor.
    Saysusie - I think you mean you use80/20 water and bleach, no? I would think 80% bleach would be very irratating to the skin and unsafe and wouldn't want anyone to mix the solution wrong.

PJ- I've had this problem too and don't take many meds (just bc and allergy meds really) but I know that diet can affect odor. A day after anything spicey or chock full of garlic or onions is noticable to me.

I also have heard of the vinegar thing. Didn't try it yet, but might this summer as I don't have AC and always feel smellier than. I also use powder after a bath and switch up deoderants every now and again between Toms of Maine and Secret.
    As long as this body works, I am going to enjoy life to the fullest for each second of every moment that I can.

Thanks

turns out that it is a fungal infection. i've had sores on my feet that wouldn't go away for quite some time. sometimes they would get smaller but not disappear completly. i would get small to quarter sized blisters on the sides and soles of my feet. i tried everything. creams, lotions, neosporin, over the counter anti-fungal creams and sprays nothing worked. i also had a discoloration on my skin. i would wash it off and it was back by noon. about 4 months ago one of these sores got really big. golf ball sized, then it got infected. badly. i went in to the doctor. she looked at it and said it's a fungal infection. i told her i tried anti-fungals and they didn't work. i thought it was the lupus. obviously it wasn't. it took two courses of antibiotics over six weeks to get rid of the combination bacterial/fungal infection inside my foot. but the fungus is still there on the surface and just under the skin. i take lamisil pills and use two different creams twice daily. the body odor started about the same time as the foot sores. i just didn't realize it. when i started taking all the meds for the fungal infection the body odor started to disappear. unfortunately, the lamisil takes a long time to kill the fungus completly. three to nine months. so i got about six more months to go. don't worry most people don't usually get it. it's not athlete's foot. thats why i didn't think it was a fungus.i forget what the doctor said it was, but it's rare for people to get it.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

OOPS, yes I did mean 20% Bleach to 80% water The most important thing is to rinse it off thoroughly!!

Thanx For The Correction!!

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!