Thread: New meds after pregnancy..what will happen?

Thanks

Question New meds after pregnancy..what will happen?

So my rheumy has told me because I had symptoms before I got pregnant and even though they have been better since I got pregnant, she has said she is going to put me on another med after I have my baby in September of this year to keep me from flaring really bad. Right before I found out I was pregnant(I was 4 weeks and found out a week later exactly)I had a grand mal seizure. I had been off all seizure meds since march of 06 & been seizure free since 03/04. They were going to do an MRI/MRA w/dye to check me for vasculitis but then the pregnancy was confirmed and they decided to postpone until after delivery.

What I am wondering is how long after I have my baby will it take to drastically affect me?
    What kind of meds do they usually put you on to keep the flares at bay?(prednisone, methotrexate, etc?)
    And for how long? What dosage?

I am just curious about this because I am now halfway through the pregnancy and am just trying to get my mind wrapped around how everything should or could go. Thanks so much. Hope you all are well. -Brittanee

P.S. I do plan to breastfeed and I know some meds such as methotrexate cannot be taken during pregnancy or while breastfeeding so Im looking for what my options will be and how they will figure out which one is best. I am currently taking Keppra for seizures, Plaquenil and vitamins.
    *LadyBug*- Epilepsy Dx: 2003 & UCTD w/SLE features Dx: 2009 SLE/Lupus Dx: May 12th 2011--Current Meds:
    Plaquenil-200mg 2x/day
    Prednisone-7.5mg 1x/day
    Methotrexate- 2.5mg 4 pills 1x/week
    Keppra-750mg 2x/day
    Daily Vitamin-1x/day
    Folic Acid- 1mg 1x/day
    Protonix 40mg 1x/day
    Bentyl- 10mg 4x/day, Miralax- 17g 1x/day
    Vit. D 800IU's 1x/day
    Lyrica- 75mg 1x/day
    Flonase 50mcg 2 sprays each 1x/day

Wanna know my story, just ask!

*Lord_Walters_Lady* <3

Thanks

Britt,
    Good for you for planning to breastfeed. You will probably need to be very firm with docs about it, and research whether the meds that they want to give you are safe for breastfeeding moms. Have you heard of the La Leche League? They are a wonderful group for support for breastfeeding moms. I used to be a LLL Leader. Most LLL groups have medical liaisons - a nurse or doctor who is on call to the group who is well versed in the meds which are safe for use during breastfeeding. If you can't find a LLL group, you might try having a close relationship with a good lactation consultant.
    Also, I hope that you can find a pediatrician for the baby who is an advocate for breastfeeding, too. He/she can be very helpful to have in your corner.
    Here's a site that you might find useful - http://www.promom.org/101/
    Let me know if I can help with finding any other information.
    Hugs,
    Marla

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

I wish that I could give you concrete answers, but I cannot. The type of medications that your doctor may be considering depend greatly upon the symptoms that you exhibited prior to your pregnancy, the severity of those symptoms, the result of past and current lab tests, and the fact that you will be lactating.
    It might behoove you to call her and ask her what medications was she considering. I am sorry that I could not be more helpful

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

I responded to this post in the other forum. You do not need to post more than once. You will get a response if posted in one forum

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Exclamation Fyi

I went ahead and merged the two duplicate threads so all responses will be in one place. Thanks!

Rob

Thanks

You are wonderful, Rob.