Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hip problem or ovarian cyst???

Thanks

Question Hip problem or ovarian cyst???

I'm going to see the rheumy on Thursday, but it is starting to feel like forever. For the last month or so, I've had bad pain in what seems to be my right hip. Not a sharp pain, but it does get severe. No burning, just aching pain. I thought it was arthritis, or lupus related, you know, the usual. But lately it feels like maybe it's not the hip after all. Could it be an ovarian cyst? About 4 years ago, the gynecologist said I had an ovarian cyst. Nothing to worry about, he said most of the time they go away, so to just be aware that I have it. The pain is getting worse, to the point that I can't stand too long. And I wake up in bad pain at least twice every night. Also, the pain worsens as the day goes on. Night is the worst.

I am usually pretty good at blocking pain and going about my day regardless. I am still working full time, still running errands, still cooking and clearning (although not as much as I do when I'm off). I'm not running a fever, there's no blood in the urine, and I am able to function somewhat normally, so it's probably not anything too serious, right? But my mom keeps suggesting I go to the Emergency Room. I'm convinced it's nothing I can't handle, and the rheumy will figure something out on Thursday.

If you've had hip pain similar to this, what did it turn out to be? Or if you've had a ruptured ovarian cyst, what was that like?
    Love...faith...joy...hope...strength...
    Lupus, you have no chance!

Love and hugs,
    Cheryl
    (mom to my little Chihuahua, Brandi)

Diagnosed with SLE, Sjogren's, Reynaud's, Celiac, and arthritis November 2006.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

yes, I've had ALOT of hip pain in the last 2 or 3 months. Nothing that is really stopping me from leading my life or even that I remember to mention to the doc. All that thyroid research has shown me that hip pain and ovarian cysts are also 2 of the symptoms of thyroid disease. (Yet again I get back to that. lol) I know from the other thread that you have thyroid issues as well but I didn't know if you knew that these ailments are also symptoms. let me know what the doc says. I would be interested to know what they recommend. And if they run blood tests, maybe you should suggest they check your thyroid levels (but to use the 3rd generation test as the 1st generation test is basically useless to you and me).
    As long as this body works, I am going to enjoy life to the fullest for each second of every moment that I can.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SandyR For This Useful Post:

brandichi (05-04-2010)

Thanks

Oh my gosh - seriously?! This is thyroid too?!?! I had no idea it could be related - Arghhhhhhhh!!! (And I'm very glad you told me, Sandy - thank you!) I made an appointment with the endo for June 22, so we'll see about the thyroid this time. Meanwhile, I'm going to do lots of research about the thyroid and just how much it can do. I always suspected I had an underactive thyroid, and when that first doctor told me about Hashimoto's, it was kind of a relief, like now I had a reason for the way I have always felt. Then, when it was taken away, I went along with it, but never fully believed it. Now I'm looking forward to Thursday even more, although she'll probably just tell me to see the gynecologist. Which I SO don't want to do!!!!

Love and hugs,
    Cheryl

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I think the endo is where you will want to be if they rule out a gynecological origin. I know I called my gynecologist as soon as my PCP referred me to the endo and he assured me the endo is the right place to be for the thyroid. Did you have your thyroid removed?
    As long as this body works, I am going to enjoy life to the fullest for each second of every moment that I can.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Here's another thought.
    First see the gyn doctor and see if it is a cyst. Hashimotos and/or Lupus attack the glands. I've lost my thyroid, my parathyroids, and both my ovaries to cysts. I have to go the the cancer center for mamos and ultrasounds because complete cysts form in my breasts - mammary (sp) glands. I always say which gland next.

Nonna

Thanks

Well, I guess the good news of all this is that I have appointments for all three of them scheduled! The rheumy is tomorrow afternoon, the endo is June 22, and the gynecologist is June 29 for my annual exam (can get in sooner if I need to). I'm trying not to get too stressed out yet, but I REALLY want to avoid seeing the gynecologist for this, and my gut says that's not gonna happen. I had thattransvaginal ultrasound four years ago when they first found the ovarian cyst and it was VERY painful. I do not want to have it again. Yet this cyst, or whatever it is, is probably more painful in the long run because it's getting really hard to stand for long. I just want the rheumy to wave a magic wand or give me some magic pill that will make the cyst/pain/whatever simply go away. Not too realistic today, am I?!?!

Nope, Sandy, I still have my thyroid. What they took away was the Hashimoto's diagnosis, and the Armour thyroid medication. (And as soon as I stopped taking it, I felt awful, but they said it was unrelated. Hmph.)

Nonna, your post made me think of something else...last summer I had my annual mammogram, and they found "something." They thought it was benign, but wanted me to have a recheck in January. I did, and they found a calcification, needing ANOTHER mammogram. At that point, they were satisfied saying it was benign, but to check again in six months. I wonder if that could be related to all of this too? And I've known since my early 20's that I have fibrocystic breasts, so it wasn't all that big a surprise. But if this is all thyroid, and I should have been on meds for the last two years, I'm going to have a few choice words for that endo when I see him...!!!!

Love and hugs,
    Cheryl

Thanks

And Sandy, how did your appointment go today?????

Love and hugs,
    Cheryl

Blog Entries
    Thanks

When you had your cyst 4 yrs ago did they ever do a follow-up ultrasound? I've had numerous cysts and they ALWAYS do a follow up in 6-8 wks. I've never had a ruptured cyst, but from what i understand it is EXTREMELY painful. I have had my ovary twist when I had a cyst and the doc said that is similar to the kind of pain w/ruptured cyst - took me to my knees screaming. I dont know about the other issues or how they tie in, but it sounds like you've gotten lots of good advice! Definitely keep the appt w/ the gyn and have an ultrasound done. Uncommon as it is cysts can turn into things that can be dangerous and it should be made sure that it is gone.

BTW - my dogs name is Brandy too
    Lauren

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by brandichi View Post
    And Sandy, how did your appointment go today?????
    Thanks for asking, Cheryl! It went pretty well. He took the FNA. He had to do it twice b/c the firt one wasn't at the right sight. I have to go back next Tuesday for an FNA on the second location. He seems to think the thyroid is "normal" and gave me some literature about thyroid nodules. I am going to see what happens with the 2 biopsies and do some research on thyroid nodules and what they mean and I am going to see what happens. He said the thyroid test was normal, but I am still learning about the test and all and from what I read so far, I am going to ask either the endo or my PCP when I seem him for my annual checkup for them to run the FreeT3 and T4 b/c the test run the last time was the Total T3 & T4. I want to really understand all I am reading so I know what I am asking for is really what I want/what is currently recommended. How about you? How are you feeling? Did you go to the gyno yet? I hope you are feeling better.

Thanks

Red, I think I chickened out and didn't go for a follow up on the ovarian cyst at the time. And as it turns out, I found out yesterday that the ovarian cyst is still there, but it thankfully hasn't ruptured. It isn't all that big, so hopefully I'll be able to stay on the 'keep an eye on it' plan when I see the gyno next month.

So you have a Brandy too?! I love it! What kind of dog is she?

Sandy, I'm glad it went okay, but really sorry you have to go back for another one. And it sounds like you have the same diagnosis I do - "normal" thyroid with a nodule/goiter. I asked my rheumy yesterday about the Free T3 &T4 and she agreed I should have that. If the endo doesn't run those, I can go back to her and she will. And she said she believes I DO have thyroid issues which are complicating matters.

Guess what?! As it turns out, this pain I've been having is neither the ovarian cyst OR the hip. It's my back. On one hand, I'm incredibly relieved because I was afraid I would need surgery (not to mention another ultrasound) for an ovarian cyst, and that is definitely not a part of my spring/summer plans! My hips are fine, she saw no problem there. But, in 2000 I had back surgery to repair L3. And once again, it's L3 that's causing all of this pain. Grrrrrrrrrr!!! The good news is that surgery is not even in the plans - it's a total last resort. Whew!! The bad news is that I'll need to start physical therapy. I also need to lose weight. Of course I knew that already, I have about 80 pounds to lose. She didn't give me a hard time about it at all, she understands the stress and having been on prednisone and all that. But she said even 10 pounds would make a big difference. The other bad news is that my ankle pain is Achille's tendonitis. I'll need physical therapy for that after I finish physical therapy for my back. Even worse....no more cute shoes for me!!!! I have to go after work today and buy New Balance walking shoes. I've never spent more than $25 for athletic shoes in my life, never believed in it, and I don't like wearing athletic shoes unless I'm going for a walk. But not only do I have to wear these expensive shoes for walking, I have to wear them all the time. Including to work. How cool is that going to look...dress pants, nice top, blazer...and athletic shoes!! Sheesh...

I know I'm whining (you should have heard me in her office yesterday, lol) and I really am relieved that it's nothing more serious, and I'm not in a flare. In fact, the best news of all is that she said the Sjogren's/lupus/whatever seems to be reasonably stable for now. She's sending me for more lab work, but she's not overly concerned with what it will show. Oh, and after reading over the medical records from my first rheumy, she said that I really should have been diagnosed with Sjogren's first (which I was), then Mixed Connective Tissue. There are indicators there for lupus, but also some indications that it wasn't lupus, and she said lupus is really, really hard to diagnose, especially at the beginning. So I shouldn't be upset with the first rheumy, and I guess I'm just glad I'm doing so well. And she said I'm still very photosensitive, so don't even think about going out without sunscreen, long sleeves, and a hat. (She knows me entirely too well already!)

Love and hugs,
    Cheryl