Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dr. Who for friends in UK

Thanks

Default Dr. Who for friends in UK

Shout out to my friends in the UK,
    We here in the US have just started to see the newest Dr. Who. Jeff and I just finished watching the one in which he met the newest version of the Daleks and assisted Winston Churchill.
    Before I give my opinion on this new Doctor, I would love to hear what you folks have to say about it.
    Please tell me what you think!
    Hugs,
    Marla

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hey Marla;
    I never did start watching Dr. Who, even after you told me that it was well worth my time. I've seen the previews for the new show and noticed that the character had changed!
    Wanted to ask you....have you been watching "Survivors?" I am loving that show. If so, I'd like to hear what you think of it!

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

Hi Saysusie,
    No, I've never seen "Survivors". We don't watch too many things on network TV - we're pretty hard-core science fiction fans. We're still grieving over the loss of Numb3rs, though. We really got hooked on one called Flash Forward on Thursday evenings. It has drawn us into the whole mystery thing since day 1.

I was asking our UK friends about Dr. Who because I'm very disappointed with the writing this season. When David Tennant (the last Dr.) left, the head writer/producer retired. We are really missing his writing. The young man who is the 11th Dr. is a very likable actor, and he has good chemistry with the young lady that he is partnered with, but they need some decent scripts! I know that in the UK, Dr. Who has always been considered to be a campy kids' show, and the writers seem to be trying to get back to that. The last two Doctors have been a bit on the dark side, but it has been great fun to watch. I think that the writers need to strike a balance, so that the kids can enjoy the show without being too scared, but so that we adults can enjoy it on another level.

I'm wondering how our family members in the UK are feeling about this season?
    Marla the super sci-fi nerd

Thanks

I really like the new Dr. He is a very natural replacement, and I find myself just going with him as the Dr, and not feeling like I have to adjust to how different he is, even though he really is different in so many ways. Not being from the UK, though, I can't speak for how he was received there.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Oh I wish I could see it. we only have local channels. I loved Dr Who - Tom Baker was my favorite one.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I loved the last Dr Who.This new one i carnt take to him at all so stopped watching it,yet my brother and Mam both say he's the best yet.For me,i dont like him not so friendly on the eye.How awful am i,but its what i think.xxxx
    I am still here,just been on new meds so unable to function like i used to.I will pop back,just know im thinking of you all and hoping you are keeping on keeping on.xxxxxxx

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Angel I felt the same when Tom Baker finished his tour. Everyone has their favorites.

nonna

Thanks

Dr. Who?... Man, I'd better get the listings out and find where that is in our area. I used to *love* Dr. Who back in the 70's & 80's. I haven't seen an episode in years! Angel, there's been a few Doctors that make even *ME* look handsome... lol
    Last edited by jmail; 05-21-2010 at 02:08 PM. Reason: the "winker" is huge... lol

Thanks

jmail - Dr. Who is on BBC America. They have brought back the show over the last few years with 3 new Doctors. They also had a spin-off series for a while that was great fun, but VERY adult-oriented, called Torchwood.
    Tom Baker was definitely the greatest Doctor to ever play the role as far as I'm concerned. However, David Tennant, who just left the role recently, has got to come in second in my opinion.
    The new guy, Matt Smith, shows a lot of promise, but I still think that he needs some better scripts.
    We've watched Dr. Who since the '70s. Back then, the PBS station would show them from the first doctor on, so I've seen them all. Our oldest two girls would sneak behind the couch to see it, too. (It came on way past their bed-time)
    Hugs,
    Marla
    Who has a thing for British TV shows

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Marla;
    I, too, am hooked on "Flash Forward" and have been following it closely. One of the main characters was also a main character in "Lost" (as well as The Lord Of The Rings trilogy).
    So, there are varying opinions about the new "Dr. Who", so I don't think I will start watching it now.
    They are doing re-runs of "Torchwood" as a marathon I've been watching them all over again (LOL). Usually when they do these types of marathons, it means that a new season is coming out. After the events of the last episode, do you think that a new season is possible???
    I am also a Sci-Fi fanatic!! But since "Survivors" involves the global death of miillions due to a virus, it sort of fits into the sci-fi genre
    I saw that "Being Human" is coming back for a new season..can't wait for that!!

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!