Thread: Raynauds question

Thanks

Default Raynauds question

Does Raynauds severity increase? Is this normal? I have had frozen hands up to elboys and feet for years. In the last year or so I have developed pretty colors. My kids make fun of me, purple, red, white..stress makes it worse. it is almost 24-7 now. when it used to be only once or twice a week. Why the change?

Thanks

Yes, it does seem to be normal for the severity to increase. This is what I've seen in the research and what I've felt for myself. There is a site for Raynaud's - hopefully it will answer your questions better than I can.
    http://www.raynauds.org/index.php
    Mine is what my doc calls "very mild". It mostly affects my toes. My feet are really, really cold at night. I've started wearing fuzzy sleeping socks called Jamzzzz to bed. I always wake up a few hours later with my feet burning, and off come the socks. I also noticed that stress increased the symptoms. When I was in Arkansas for the birth of my grandson, it was 9 degrees outside. My toes swelled and turned purple. I was stressed out when my daughter had a c-section, so my toes swelled even more and had little blisters on them. I could hardly walk out of the hospital.
    If this is "very mild", I would hate to see "severe"!
    I hope this helps.
    Hugs,
    Marla

Thanks

If its bothering you more you should go to see your doctor. I kept going back to my family doctor before I knew I had lupus and he just kept telling me to keep warm until I got the first ulcer on my finger. If its all day long all the time you probably not only need to stay warm and have less stress but maybe need to get some medicine for it. I was really stressed out about school and work for months and its just got worse. I hope you can find a way to make it better =)

Thanks

My Raynauds got better, so I think its severity changes with flares.
    Mine was getting worse, and then improved a lot with an ointment for treating Raynauds.
    I am going to try to find its name tomorrow, because I can not remember now. But it has lasting effect.

Thanks

That's funny that you mention having to wear socks to bed, and then having to whip them off in the middle of the night. I always have a pair of socks on the floor in the morning because I always have to start out with them on, and always have to take them off in the middle of the night.

Sometimes my feet get so cold that I have found changing the socks helps. I think I actually transfer some of the cold in my feet to the first pair of socks. My hands will start out so cold that nothing gets them warm. I have to hold them close to my body and just wait it out, sometimes for hours. I have to sleep with an eyemask nearby, because my eyes get cold, very weird. I absolutely know when the temperature in the house drops below 72, because my nose gets cold.

Thanks

Wink Raynauds

Hi,

I'm new to the group so this is my first time posting. My Raynauds has improved in my hands, but has worsened in my feet. I guess every person is different. I bought slippers that have an insert that can be heated in the microwave. I couldn't be without them. Also, the hand warmers work well too that hunters use. I put them into my slippers up near my toes and top of my foot. Works for hours and hours.

Thanks

I would love slippers like that. And I always read people talking about an oitment and I've asked my doctor about it and she acts like it isnt that great but I've heard such good things about it and would like to try something new than just adding more pills. Im back on Trental or something like that. Hopefully it along with the norvasc will start to help.

Thanks

Default Found the ointment's name

I found the ointment's name. It is NOT the nitroglycerine ointment that doctors usually prescribe for Raynaud's.
    The ointment is called Troxevasin. It is made in Europe though, so I am pretty sure it has another name in the USA. The active ingredient is Troxerutin.
    It has anti-inflammatory effect on the small blood vessels and tissue around them. Improves capillary function, reduces capillary spasms and other circulatory problems. I was using the ointment on my arms for several weeks. But my ulcer healed on the 3rd or 4th day. I used it 1.5 years ago and still has lasting effect.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to banderosa For This Useful Post:

ritzbit (04-25-2010)