Thread: Mouth lesions

Thanks

Default Mouth lesions

I sometimes get a red sore in the throat...right on the rim. Usually painful..but tolerable..I now have one that I thought was on the side of my throat where my tonsil used to be, but I was wrong it is on the very back of my tongue and by far the worst one I have ever had, and the pain is unbearable. I can barely swallow because it moves up and down when I do.The pain is making the side of my head hurt as well as my ear! Ughhhh..do you get these too?
    Andrea

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I know this sounds REALLY gross... but have you ever used a salt water solution? if you garggle with two teaspoons of salt in a cup of water (rember to spit it out... its so nasty you don't want to swallow) with in a couple of days the sores will have healed. I know I've got to do this everyother week and especially during my menstration... I get a mouthfull of white sores and it seems to work pretty good. I hope this helps.
    A stranger is only family you haven't met yet.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

The oral mucosa, or lining of the mouth, is one of the most common targets in lupus erythematosus (LE) patients. Oral apthae (lesions) in LE patients tend to last longer, be larger, and appear most often on the hard palate, or roof of the mouth. The most important feature of apthae in LE patients is the strong association of these oral ulcers with an internal organ flare of the systemic lupus disease.

The most effective treatment for Lupus mouth lesions is to control the SLE with a safe and immunosuppressive therapy. This usually is based on the combination of systemic corticosteroids (Prednisone) with anti-metabolites, such as azathioprine (Imuran) or mycophenolate mofetil (CellCept) with cyclophosphamide and Plaquenil (Hydroxychloroquine).

Additional treatment may consist of high-potency corticosteroids placed directly upon the skin, such as clobetasol gel (4-5 times a day) or topical tacrolimus ointment (2-3 times a day); or medicines taken by mouth, such as colchicine, 0.6 mg twice a day, Dapsone, 100-150 mg/day, or thalidomide (Thalomid), 100-200 mg/day.

Perhaps you can discuss some of these treatment options with your doctor to see which ones would work best for you. I hope that you get some relief soon.

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

I get mouth sores too. My rheumy told me to take L-Lysine 500mg which is an essential amino acid and can be bought over the counter at any drug store. It is helpful in healing mouth sores and I take two a day as a preventative, no more mouth sores now (mostly)! Also a non-sudsing toothpaste like biotene is particularly helpful at preventing or worsening mouth sores!

Thanks

thanks for the tips..yes I do use salt water..I know it helps a little...Saysusie, I did call the Rheumy..he Rx'd a topical oral steroid ointment..easier said than done..it was hard to reach and you are really supposed to dry it a little first..it was so far back I couldn't get the ointment to stick on it!!! Another great tip I got from someone is milk of magnesia right on the lesion..It is used for chemo patients. At least I know I am not the only one 8(
    Andrea

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Panda ask your pharmacist about magic mouth.
    It's a milk of magnesia based product that he/she whips up behind the counter with a numbing agent. I forgot I had to get it for my oldest son because he contracted hand foot and mouth disease from school. I forgot I had it until last night when I really need to use it... boy what a relief.
    A stranger is only family you haven't met yet.

Thanks

Potts77..thanks so much....funny you should say this..my friend gets a lot of viral cancker sores...she was told to mix Milk of Mag with liquid benadryl and apply to the area..I bet it's the same..thanks for the info!They are so painful.
    Andrea