Thread: Dietary Question - IMPORTANT

Thanks

Default Dietary Question - IMPORTANT

Ok, maybe not so important, but I really do need to know, and since I am new to this stuff, well, I hoping I will eventually get it.

I was just drinking an organic yogurt smoothie and happened to have looked at the ingredients. Now, I am not sure if I remember correctly or not (my memory tends to get foggy) but I think I read that eating yogurt with live cultures is not a good thing. Can someone please clarify this for me?

Thanks!

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi;
    I've only heard good things about yogurt with reference to Lupus.
    1. A cup or two of yogurt a day can boost the immune functioning by stimulating the production of gamma interferon. Yogurt is said to also spur activity of natural killer cells that attack viruses and tumors. Yogurt with acidophilus cultures prevents vaginitis (yeast infections) in women. Helps fight bone problems, such as osteoporosis, because of high available calcium content. Acidophilus yogurt cultures neutralize cancer-causing agents in the intestinal tract. Plain old yogurt with L bulgaricus and S. thermophilus cultures, both live and dead, blocked lung cancers in animals.
    2. We are encouraged to also eat calcium-rich foods, such as fat-free or low-fat milk and yogurt and to avoid fatty foods.

If you find information precluding yogurt, please let us know about it!

Saysusie

Thanks

Yogurt is so great! I'm not sure if you have astro brand in the US but that has Asadophalis (sp) and that is a live culture. Eating yogart is great for the tummy it helps keep the natural good bactiria working so that it can fight off bad stuff and keep us feeling healthy, especially people with lupus when we tend to have stumach issues with digestion and nausea the yogurt can really help! it's also good for women things like yeast infections eating a yogurt once a day with the asadophalis can help and prevent yeast infections! Now that's great because we have enought to deal with without that too!!!LOL
    Lots of hugs!!!!!! Stefanie

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saysusie
    We are encouraged to also eat calcium-rich foods, such as fat-free or low-fat milk and yogurt and to avoid fatty foods.
    Are there any calcium-rich non-dairy foods?

I've found a frozen soy with live cultures that is good but it has sugar so I have to be careful (type 1 diabetes) and can only eat 1/3 cup at a time of anything, really (gastroparesis).

Why is calcium important for lupus? I don't take steroids because of the diabetes so don't have to worry about that. But I DO worry about getting enough of everything since I generally eat 600-800 calories a day (more on "good" days) and calcium especially because of a dairy allergy.

There's a *tiny* bit of calcium in my Glaceau vitamin water but it's like 10% of the RDA in a whole bottle.

Thanks

I know that broccoli has a good deal of calcium...
    "All sounds are potentially dangerous.
    All sounds are potentially medicinal.
    All sounds are beautiful." ~Yoko Ono

Thanks

Solesinger -

Eeew! I'd have to put in through a blender! LOL!

I REALLY miss eating vegetables. I hope my stomach gets stronger so I can enjoy them again. I really love brocolli!

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Ariel;
    Here are some non dairy, calcium-rich foods:
    Almonds, Baked Beans, Blackstrap Molasses, Dried Figs, Mustard Greens, Oranges, Red kidney beans - cooked, Rhubarb - cooked, Salmon, Tofu (made with calcium). Non dairy sources of calcium include leafy green vegetables, tortillas made with limestone, nuts and foods where bones are consumed such as sardines and salmon, kale, collard greens, bok choy, broccoli, and oranges, soy milk, juices, cereals, and pasta (fortified with calcium).
    Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

Thanks, Saysusie!

A lot of those things are off my diet for now but I can do tofu, soymilk etc.

They aren't sure if I'll ever be able to eat raw foods (fruit or veggie) again or anything with a high fiber content like beans or cereal.

The stomach has been getting better (the gastroparesis kind of comes in waves) and I've been able to eat more. I sure hope there's a salad in my future because that is what I miss the most!

So why should lupus patients get more calcium?

Thanks

Fortunately, most soy-and ricemilk companies are fortifying with Calcium now.

Calcium is important for Lupus patients if they are on steroids or other meds that can cause long-term bone problems;however, Calcium is important for all women, as they are more susceptible to osteoporosis anyway. Plus, if you are eating small amounts of foods and are lactose-intolerant, vegan, or just not eating dairy, you are probably not even getting the minimum RDAs without a supplement or special focus on eating other sources of Calcium.
    Missy

Thanks

Thanks, Missy. I know I should probably take supplements - especially when the gastroparesis gets my calorie intake gets below 700-800. When it's that bad, though, I usually can't get anything in at all without throwing it back up.

I've heard the Citrical is easier on the stomach. Anyone know for sure?