Thread: ANA Unsure

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default ANA Unsure

Hi everyone, I recently had my second miscarriage and my OB ordered numerous lab tests on me. One of ANA, it is positive 1:320 diffused and nucleolar. I says i have factor V leiden R506Q mutation. My Lupus was negative but whenever I pull up ANA 1:320, it tells me that I'm lupus positive. I don't see my OB for two weeks and I need to try to figure this out so when I see her I have my questions ready.

Can anyone help me??

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Hi Kmm31,

Welcome to WHL. I'll try to help you, but I need to ask you to clarify things a bit. Have you already been diagnosed with one of the forms of Lupus, or do you and your OB suspect you may have Lupus? I'm not sure what you mean by your Lupus was "negative", but you pull up a result that says positive. Any clarification you can give will help, and then I can try to translate the ANA results. Thanks!

Rob

Blog Entries
    Thanks

My lupus anticoagulant panel was negative. When I google my ANA results on the web it tells me I'm more than likely positive for lupus. My doctor never said if I do or don't have lupus, my follow up is not for another two weeks. But my ANA has me scared.
    RESULTS:
    My ANA titer is 1:320.
    Results: Heterozygous for the factor V Leiden R506Q mutation. The DNA from this patient contains one normal factor V gene and one gene with the R506Q mutation. This genotype is associated wiht a 5-10 fold increased risk of thrombosis.
    I have no idea what this means.
    If you can help great, if you can't I understand.

Thank you in advance.

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

OK,

Rather than re-print all this info here, I'm going to give you a couple of links that are the best I could find for explaining these results. First, is an overview of interpreting ANA test results-

http://labtestsonline.org/understand.../ana/test.html

And this site deals specifically with the Heterozygous Factor V Leiden-

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/bookshelf/br.fcgi?book=gene&part=factor-v-leiden

These sites are fairly easy to digest, and are mostly in layman terms. Also, a positive ANA test is part of the Diagnostic Criteria for a Lupus diagnosis, but a positive ANA is not in itself a diagnosis. Check out our "Sticky" topics area in the Lauri's Lounge part of the forum for an overview of the Diagnostic Criteria, as well as other relevant subjects. I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions. Or if you just need to talk, we have some good listeners here. Worry between appointments, especially after a test result we don't understand, is no fun. Talking really does help.

Rob
    Last edited by rob; 04-21-2010 at 06:14 AM.