Thread: Rash?

Thanks

Default Rash?

Hi, everyone! Sorry I haven't been in much. I've been busy and fighting flares with superhuman strength. haha! As most of you know I have RA and some other AIs, but don't have lupus. However, I run a support group for all AI diseases and one of my friends posted a picture of a rash on her chest. She said it hurts. Since the rash showed up, she has since gone into full on flare-mode. Meds have been adjusted and hopefully she'll get out of the flare soon.

My question is:
    Is there anything that can be done to give her relief from the rash itself?? She tried hydrocortisone and also benadryl, but neither worked. I just hate her being uncomfortable and want to help.

Also, are seizures normal with lupus?!?! She has me so worried about her!!

Thank you for all your help and I hope you are all having a superfantastic and extra-comfortable day! *gentle hugs*

Thanks

Plaquenil has helped my rashes/hives quite a bit..and yes some people do have seizures from Lupus..it can effect the central nervous system just like every other system of the body.
    Andrea

3. The Following User Says Thank You to pandagirl For This Useful Post:

Melly (04-19-2010)

Thanks

She's on MTX and steroids. I guess it's time to add something new to the mix.

Is there anything that can be done to provide "instant" relief from the rash though? Is there a special cream? Ice? Anything??

Thanks

If Rx strength cortisone cream didn't help..gosh..the only other miracle I have found is Lanacaine extra strength (yellow tube) cold compresses too..heat aggravates it so avoid it!
    Andrea

6. The Following User Says Thank You to pandagirl For This Useful Post:

Melly (04-22-2010)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Cold really helps ease mine when it's irritated and itches really bad. And like Andrea shared, stay away from heat. If I even get a little overheated it feels so much worse.

If it's really bad, a shot of medrol may be helpful.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to abbasgirl For This Useful Post:

Melly (04-22-2010)

Thanks

I'm convinced that the type of rash you're describing was the overt onset of my SLE.. (Spring of 2005). Mine was from the base of my neck all the way down, over my whole body. I was dosing myself with benadryl (max doses) and slathering myself in topical Lidocaine. Turns out you can OD on that... I almost did. When I told my doc how often I'd been using it, she finally got concerned, but ultimately chalked it up to an allergic reaction to laundry soap. Needless to say, I don't see her anymore and have moved on to a fabulous doc. That being said, the benadryl / lidocaine combo wasn't really even relieving it, it was just putting me in a sleepy / numb-ish kind of stupor so I could rest. The only thing that's ever calmed my rashes in the short-term has been the medrol pack. Since I've been on Plaquenil, I haven't had a severe flare up rash-wise like I used to. I hope you can figure out something soon... I know how absolutely horrible this can be, my heart goes out to her.
    Shannon
    Divorced
    Registered Nurse
    Proud Momma to an 8 month old kitten. She was on death's door when I found her and now she growing up into a beautiful cat, she's my baby.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change...
    The courage to change the things I can...
    And the wisdom to know the difference.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Serenity81 For This Useful Post:

Melly (04-22-2010)