Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2010 ms walk

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default 2010 ms walk

Dear Friends,

On May 2nd I will participate in the 2010 Zwanger-Pesiri Radiology walkMSİ and I'm inviting you to support my team, Team Get Up & Go!

As many of us know personally, MS is an autoimmune disease that affects all kinds of people all over the world. Every week 200 people are newly diagnosed with MS. Having multiple sclerosis means that you may not be able to walk when you wake up. Or that you may suddenly have impaired vision. Or that your memory will fail you for no apparent reason. The symptoms of MS are different, and devastating, for everyone - the only certainty is that it will affect yet another person every hour of every day. To learn more go to www.nationalmssociety.org.

On Saturday, May 2nd, Team Get Up & Go will join thousands of other teams nationwide to walk in support of a world without MS. Your donation will help the MS Society provide medical support and therapies to MS patients in need. Every penny raised is one step closer to a day where all MS patients are able to Get Up & Go disease free.

You can support my the team in three ways:
    - By choosing to walk with up
    - By helping to raise funds for the MS Society in our Team Get Up & Go's name
    - By making a pledge to donate in Team Get Up & Go's name.

I walk for my Aunt Beth who has battled MS for close to 20 years. She inspires me to help stamp out MS so that those we know and love with MS will live disease free now and for generations to come. The MS Society's achievements and advancements in medical therapies over the past years have helped Aunt Beth and others like her to live longer, fuller lives than previously expected. This disease still affects her and she must take daily medications to maintain her health. Aunt Beth must also keep up with her team of medical experts frequently to closely monitor the disease's progression in her body. With help of you and the MS Society, we are taking steps to make sure that no patient of MS has to suffer the debilitating and life threatening effects MS can have. We are making strides to be sure that all people all over the world will be able to GET UP & GO live their lives MS free!

By helping my team, you will be participating in a celebration of the great things we can achieve when working together for a common cause. Each penny we raise and every step we take brings us one step closer to a cure - and closer to a world without multiple sclerosis.

Click here to view the team page for Team Get Up & Go:
    http://main.nationalmssociety.org/si...s_tafId=143815

The National Multiple Sclerosis Society will use funds collected from the 2010 walkMS on May 2nd to not only support research for a cure tomorrow, but also to provide programs which address the needs of people living with MS today. Because we choose to walk for those who sometimes can't, because we choose to donate to the 2010 walkMS, we are getting closer to the hour when no one will have to hear the words, "You have MS."

Thank you,
    Sandy
    Attached Images Attached Images
    As long as this body works, I am going to enjoy life to the fullest for each second of every moment that I can.

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

I remember you telling me aboiut your Aunt Beth. Living with MS for 20 years is really something. Your devotion to her , and to helping find a cure, is a great thing. I'm happy you are doing this.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Rob,
    Aunt Beth is always such a positive person. She has been through so much. She lost her husband to a massive heart attack in her arms, she lost her children to the system a year later when someone falsely accused her of abuse. This was the Lisa Steinberg years so I can understand why they did it, but still that one act of what someone thought was kindness ended up being a 10 year hell for her. She got her kids back and lost her health when she was diagnosed with MS. She was broke, with 4 kids all with major emotional issues of the last 10 years and a new MS diagnosis that at that time was pretty much a death sentence without a timeline and she was flat out broke from lossing her ability to perform her job functions and work. She moved her and her children to TX for a better life and the family member she lived with took financial advantage of her situation and, frankly, should probably be in jail for their actions. She moved out and the apartment she had with her 4 kids was similar to KimL's situation. Not a healthy place for a person with minor health issues, let alone MS. She was displaced and her home destroyed by Hurricane Katrina. She had to move home and leave her children (who by now were grown) and her grandson and came back to NY severly malnurished and flaring out of control with her MS attacks due to years of medical mistreatment by the professionals she was seeing and by lack of funds to pursue better medical care. If not for the MS Society and all the advancements in medical technology and MS research that they have made over the years, Aunt Beth would have lost her fight many years ago. Now, she has such a better prognosis. She still flares. The picture in my original post is a flare day for her. You can't tell in the picture, but she is hooked up to an EEG, she had just gotten her sight back (blindness is a common side effect of her flares that can last for hours or days) she was having high blood pressures. She was lucky this time because she passed out while at the radiologists office and her PCP was there at the time. Through all this she never, not once, lost faith or hope or her smile. Even on her down days, she is still very optimistic. She inspires me. How can I live with an AI problem and complain when she has done that and so much more over the years? I don't know how many more years she will be able to walk the walk. Last year she had to drop out last minute b/c she was flaring at that time. I don't know how many more years I can do the walk either, but like my tag line says as long as this body can move, I am going to enjoy life to the fullest for each second of every moment that I can. Aunt Beth inspired that tag line.
    Sandy
    As long as this body works, I am going to enjoy life to the fullest for each second of every moment that I can.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Your aunt Bessie is truly an inspirational woman who is an inspiration to more than just you!! After reading your story about your aunt, I agree that; if she can continue to have faith, to smile, and to walk..then who am I to complain about my menial issues (as compared to hers).
    I think that, at times, we tend to feel sorry for ourselves and believe that no one is suffering as much as we are. Then, we hear stories about true heroes, like your aunt, and it helps to put things back into perspective.
    I truly admire you for your compassion and your fortitude. Both you and your aunt are truly inspirational women!!!

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Thank you Saysusie. I consider you to be a truly inspirational woman and I appreciate your kind words.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SandyR For This Useful Post:

Nonna (04-18-2010)

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

You are so very welcome
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

37% to goal!!!!

Thanks

Kudos Sandy!! My brother-in-law is debilitated from MS...wheelchair bound..losing use of his arms and trouble swallowing..such a worthy cause....It makes me feel fortunate.
    Andrea

Blog Entries
    Thanks

what is his name? I will add him to my mental list of people I walk for.

Thanks

Oh so sweet Sandy... his name is John Luis.Thank you.
    Andrea