Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 28

Thread: speech coordination

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    This happens to me too. It is quite embarrassing. I teach kindergarten, so sometimes they don't really notice but a lot of times they do. When I can't think of a really simple or common word, people look at me like I am stupid. I am going to tell my doctor next time I go, not sure he can help me out though.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    TN/North MS
    Posts
    152
    Blog Entries
    4
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts

    Default

    That happens to me too! Don't feel bad. We just have a lot to deal with as lupies. See.. no words could describe us in my mind, so I just made it up (kind of.. I mean I've seen it before). My hubby gives me "the look" when I'm at the doctor and I start to ramble. He is always like.. okay babe, try not to ramble on.. it is really off-putting to the doctor! haha. He said I remind him of "Old Christine" from "The New Adv. of Old Christine" because she rambles a lot. I don't mean to.. but sometimes my words just don't come to me so I keep talking until they do. But sometimes they don't. Okay I'm rambling.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Southampton, UK
    Posts
    22
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    This sounds all too familiar.

    I have trouble with my reading and writing sometimes too. I can look at a page and just can't take in its content. Sometimes when I write, words get all mixed up with half one word appearing in the next word, or the letters within words getting all mixed up. I have to proof read everything and often find the wrong letters in my typing despite knowing how to spell the words I tried to write.

  4. #14
    tgal's Avatar
    tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    4,526
    Thanks
    1,548
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

    Default

    Here too Stef. My comprehension is not what it was before. I skip letters or add them to the next word. If I can think of a word at all when I am speaking (which is less and less often) I may pull out something off the wall. Shovel=spoon. Clothes hamper = Car.
    Mari

    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

    ~Winston Churchill~







  5. #15
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Seaside, Ca.
    Posts
    3,871
    Thanks
    196
    Thanked 948 Times in 732 Posts

    Default

    Sometimes having a large vocabulary isn't such a great thing. Sometimes, I'll "lose" a simple word, and I'll start throwing out synonyms, sometimes even the Latin or Greek synonym will come to my crazy mind. Jeff will chuckle, and provide the simple English word that I was trying to say. It's so embarrassing for someone with an education like mine!
    Anybody remember Quantum Leap? The character on there said that when he made a leap in time, he had a "swiss cheese memory".
    That's what we have!
    Hugs,
    Marla

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Southampton, UK
    Posts
    22
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tgal View Post
    Here too Stef. My comprehension is not what it was before. I skip letters or add them to the next word. If I can think of a word at all when I am speaking (which is less and less often) I may pull out something off the wall. Shovel=spoon. Clothes hamper = Car.
    My problem isn't as severe as yours but I regularly substitute words starting with the same letter, eg I'm trying to remember a name and maybe pick Carol instead of Claire - causes much difficulty and confusion at work. This morning I tried to tell Mum that my Niger seed feeder had been visited by a bird, I couldn't remember it was a gold finch and called the seed Linnet which is the name of a bird....poor Mum was having trouble figuring out what the heck I was talking about!

    I also say words in sentences as I see things; yesterday I said cup in the middle of a sentence because I saw one. I work in a proffesional role in a what is normally a man's job, it's stressful and this kind of thing doesn't help - they already think women are inferior without me going ahead and proving it by saying dumb things!

    A couple of months ago I told the Gynae I thought I had Clamydia instead of Candida, this in fromt of my Mum yikes!!!

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Atlanta Area - Dacula
    Posts
    1,825
    Blog Entries
    12
    Thanks
    389
    Thanked 408 Times in 330 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by magistramarla View Post
    Anybody remember Quantum Leap? The character on there said that when he made a leap in time, he had a "swiss cheese memory".
    That's what we have!
    Hugs,
    Marla
    Marla , my SciFi buddy, that's another show we have in common.

    Yes we do have Swiss cheese memories

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Southampton, UK
    Posts
    22
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by magistramarla View Post
    Sometimes having a large vocabulary isn't such a great thing. Sometimes, I'll "lose" a simple word, and I'll start throwing out synonyms, sometimes even the Latin or Greek synonym will come to my crazy mind. Jeff will chuckle, and provide the simple English word that I was trying to say. It's so embarrassing for someone with an education like mine!
    Anybody remember Quantum Leap? The character on there said that when he made a leap in time, he had a "swiss cheese memory".
    That's what we have!
    Hugs,
    Marla
    Marla

    It sounds like you've done incredibly well.

    I have a degree and professional chartership; letters after my name ...... but you might have trouble believing it if you saw me in my current state. I'm a building surveyor. I'm hanging on at work but communication problems have been a constant worry.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Seaside, Ca.
    Posts
    3,871
    Thanks
    196
    Thanked 948 Times in 732 Posts

    Default

    I just went through one of those frustrating times:
    Two weeks ago, I bought some lovely card-sized paintings from a local artist at the crafts fair. I plan to give them as Christmas presents.
    I brought them home, and the cat of course tried to eat the plastic bag that they were in. (he has a strange addiction) I put them "somewhere safe".
    Yesterday, I bought frames for the pictures. I started searching the house for the pictures, but couldn't find them. As I went to bed last night, I thought that they must be in the seat of my rollator. I looked as soon as I got up, to no avail. Just a few minutes ago, I was thinking about the NPS wine stoppers that I'm giving the kids, and bought gift bags for yesterday. Then it hit me! I opened the drawer of the wine cabinet, where the stoppers are, and there are the paintings!
    Gee, I hate my swiss-cheese memory!
    Hugs,
    Marla

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Southampton, UK
    Posts
    22
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by magistramarla View Post
    I just went through one of those frustrating times:
    Two weeks ago, I bought some lovely card-sized paintings from a local artist at the crafts fair. I plan to give them as Christmas presents.
    I brought them home, and the cat of course tried to eat the plastic bag that they were in. (he has a strange addiction) I put them "somewhere safe".
    Yesterday, I bought frames for the pictures. I started searching the house for the pictures, but couldn't find them. As I went to bed last night, I thought that they must be in the seat of my rollator. I looked as soon as I got up, to no avail. Just a few minutes ago, I was thinking about the NPS wine stoppers that I'm giving the kids, and bought gift bags for yesterday. Then it hit me! I opened the drawer of the wine cabinet, where the stoppers are, and there are the paintings!
    Gee, I hate my swiss-cheese memory!
    Hugs,
    Marla
    I went away for a weekend leaving a dictaphone at home with two days work in, ready to take to the office to be typed on my return. My landlord used the weekend to fix my bathroom ceiling. When I came home I couldn't find the dictaphone. There would be no benefit to my landlord in stealing it. This was several months ago and I haven't found it, despite numerous searches. I had to do the work again. It really bothers me.

    Hugs, I need lots of those!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •