Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: speech coordination

Thanks

Default speech coordination

there's a new symptom title. Speech Coordination.

That's the best title I could give to what I am so frustrated with. I used to speak so well. I could craft a sentence that was a wonder to behold. Complex words and phrases were a specialty. I have always loved being creative with words. Well, I still love it, but, I fear it as well.

I get started with a sentence that should roll fairly easily from my mouth, but, somewhere between my brain and my tongue it gets mixed up, turns to blabbering. I will search for a word, and never find it. I will mix words up, or add words from something completely unrelated, like when Im looking at a cup, I will sometimes say cup instead of the item Im actually talking about, as though my thoughts are blending together. My kids laugh at me, because I have always been such a stickler for proper grammer and speech, and here I am messing up simple sentences. I know I sound funny to them, but, to me, this is just plain scary. I'm so afraid of what it means.

Combine that with the trouble I have swallowing sometimes, and you get progression and I really don't want this thing to progress.

I know I should just go and get tests done, but, we're so broke right now. I can't afford to risk being told it's nothing, I'm fine, but, I also know that if I don't and it turns out to be something, I'll regret waiting. Ahh!!! Why can't health care be something we can all afford? Why do we allow it to be a luxury? I'm afraid of this disease progressing, I'm afraid of being crippled or dying, but, I'm also afraid of sending us into bankruptcy, losing our home, and all because I pushed to have tests done that were inconclusive, again. It's by far not a new experience for me to have expensive tests done that came back clear, but, back then, we had better insurance and we only had to pay a copay of $50 for tests like MRI's and Echocardiograms. Now, we pay most of it.

So I wait, and I watch the symptoms, and really have no idea what the benchmark is for when I will say it's time, and the waiting is over.

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Hi Teresaa40,

I know how you feel. I used to be a fairly active public speaker, and I wrote quite a few guest columns and articles for various publications. I used to have somewhat of a photographic memory for things like words, maps, and diagrams. I was also a pretty decent proofreader, and like you, I am a stickler for proper spelling and grammar. These days, I forget how to spell simple words, and I lose myself in mid-conversation with people. I just suddenly draw a blank. It can be really embarrassing, and it frustrates me to no end. I also sometimes get lost on my way home from the store, in a town I've known like the back of my hand since childhood.

I was diagnosed with SLE in 2004, and MS just over a year ago. The cognitive dysfunction caused by either disease can be bad, put them together, and it becomes quite severe. I just deal with it to the best of my abilities on any given day. I have some days where I'm OK, and there isn't much of a problem, so I try to take advantage of those days when they happen, and accomplish as much as possible. My family and friends know that on my bad days, I may come across as odd, or "out there", and to their credit, they are understanding, and just roll with it. Sometimes, when I see them again after a bad spell, we'll laugh about it, and I try to use humor to lighten things up for those around me.

Rob (I think)

Thanks

Count me in on this, too.
    I taught a foreign language, so I was pretty upset when I started "forgetting" the Latin vocabulary words that I had just taught to my students. Luckily for me, they thought that it was a game that I was playing with them to get them to learn the word by filling it in when I paused. I just let them believe this, and they got really good at finishing my sentences in Latin for me. Jeff is also great at finishing my sentences for me. Most people think it's cute that we understand each other so well, so I roll with it.
    I met a lot of people at the Sjogren's conference with the same problem. The docs who presented also addressed "brain fog", so watch my posts as I report on the conference.
    Marla

Thanks

I am having the same problem. It started with severe headaches, and the speech thing was next, no I have trouble concentrating on the smallest things. I have had all the tests and I can tell after almost 2 years the neurologist still cant figure this out. Hang in there. It is nice to know I am not the only one and I am not insane.

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

Count me in on this one as well. At one time I was not considered a bumbling idiot but those days have long gone! I sometimes feel as if english is my 2nd language but I don't have a first!

Thanks

My husband, like Marlas, does quite well, finishing my sentences. With him, I feel comfortable, but with co-workers, I feel very
    intimitated and insecure.
    I would like to change jobs, because the one I have is way to physical, fast pace, with heavy lifting, but the brain fog is so bad at times, that I don't think I can learn a new job. I can't remember new things, or even talk, can't finish a sentence, that would make any sense to someone other than me.
    About the testing, I can't remember if you where dx with a AI, but if you are, brain fog is usually part of an AI disease. My rheumy did not do any special testing for it, he said since I have Lupus, RA, Fibro and Sjogrens, brain fog is part of any of them.
    I hope this helps you somewhat, to understand, what you are dealing with.

Debbie
    I may have been dealt a bad hand, but at least I'm still playing with a full deck. ( most of the time anyway).

Blog Entries
    Thanks

my problem is I think one word and another comes out of my mouth. I also have developed the blah blah blah's, where my tongue gets tied. Marla, I studied to be a french teacher and I speak some spanish. I can no longer roll my R's.

This seems to be more common among us than I thought.

Nonna

Rob is right: Lupus - you can not win. I refuse to admit defeat.

Thanks

At times I substitute words, and those around me look at me blankly. My family laugh at me because I am always the teacher, expecting my family to speak correctly. They love to correct me any chance they can get. I used to get very upset with the inability to speak properly, but now I realise there is a reason for my speech problems. I am usually in pain, feel sick or tired. So I deal with those issues and usually when I feel a bit better I can go back to my normal speech. I am glad that my problems can be fixed rather simply.
    Diagnosed with Lupus - 22 June, 2010

Thanks

Doomahickie, thiggamajig, wabberjockie, etc... and as has been mentioned, ole reliable "blah blah blah". I've since added "uhhhh..." to my vocabulary (add a bit of drool in with that, and you can *scare* people)... Now, if I can just get my fingers to do the typing, after the brain engages... whoops, slipped the clutch!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Me too ... words not coming out right.
    Feeling very messy.
    There are days that my thoughts are as sharp as an eagle.
    But there are days, ohh... not so good days that I have no idea what I was on about, imagine those around me!

I've not told the doctor about it.
    One time, I told the doc that I was not able to sleep at night, sensitivity to noise - he asked me in return "Are you hearing voices?" - Hmmmmmm