Thread: So Much Drama

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default So Much Drama

Hi Everybody,

We had a new neighbor who moved in to the apartments where I live. We used to be the quiet building, but this guy parties until all hours of the night and keeps his stereo/radio up loud. Of course, we get all the bass coming upstairs to where we live. We asked him to please curb the music at 10 p.m. and have some respect for his neighbors and the rental contract. He let us know in no uncertain terms to heck with the contract, the neighbors and the apartment manager. We don't have an onsite manager, so she goes by complaints.

We didn't want too, but we made a complaint about him. Hopefully, things will get better as far as the noise is concerned. You know how people are though, there often ends up being animosity amongst the neighbors. Already when he sees me he gives me dirty looks. I just hold my head up and don't say anything. I don't want to cause more trouble. He already got another neighbor involved and there was a confrontation between him and my boyfriend. They almost came to blows. Another neighbor came out and put a stop to it and my boyfriend walked away. He had a Drs. appt. he had to meet, besides he is totally disabled at the present time.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

My father is the chief of police where we live and as growing up as a cops daughter you pick up on a few laws. If you are willing to go to court you can sighn a citiation for disturbing the peace. If it's getting to the point were it's coming to blows with your boyfriend and your neighbor it maybe time to call the police to mediate.
    A stranger is only family you haven't met yet.

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by potts77 View Post
    My father is the chief of police where we live and as growing up as a cops daughter you pick up on a few laws. If you are willing to go to court you can sighn a citiation for disturbing the peace. If it's getting to the point were it's coming to blows with your boyfriend and your neighbor it maybe time to call the police to mediate.
    Potts77,

My father was law enforcement too, and that is an excellent idea.

DrinkofWtr,

I'm sorry you are having to deal with this. I was in a similar situation many years ago, and it sucked. Made life miserable, and I ended up having a jerk neighbor take a swing at me for telling him for the 50th time to turn the damn music down. The situation didn't go well for him, and he ended up in the hospital and then jail. I would much rather have avoided any sort of altercation, and the huge hassle involved with situations like that, but he would not back down, and insisted on taking a second swing when his first one missed.

Just be careful, and make sure you document this person's violations of the rules and report any threats both verbal, and physical, to the police so you can establish a documented pattern of this guys actions.

Rob
    Last edited by rob; 04-08-2010 at 02:36 PM.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

DOW
    That stinks. Rude neighbors are the worst! Home should be a place of sanctuary and respite when you need that. You got some really great advice from Potts and Rob (who I wouldn't want to be in a fight with apparantly) and you have a good idea with contacting your rental management company. The only thing I would say is to make sure that your complaints to the management company are in writing and that you keep a record of what letter you sent on which day and what the result was. Since you don't have an onsite manager, if you can't email the company with a read receipt, it would be a good idea to make your letter a certified letter with return receipt (guaranteed to be seen since it has to be hand delivered).
    Sandy
    As long as this body works, I am going to enjoy life to the fullest for each second of every moment that I can.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Thanks for all the advice. At this point, I really don't want to get the police involved. If it doesn't get better, I will though. I, myself, am pretty ignorant about law enforcement matters, but I am learning more everyday. Of course all this stress doesn't help with the lupus, or the other medical issues, we are dealing with.

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

DrinkofWtr,

The stress, and the problems it causes, can really take a toll. The people who cause these things, have no idea what it does to people with SLE. Even if they did, they probably would not care. I hope this situation is resolved ASAP.

Rob

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rob View Post
    DrinkofWtr,

The stress, and the problems it causes, can really take a toll. The people who cause these things, have no idea what it does to people with SLE. Even if they did, they probably would not care. I hope this situation is resolved ASAP.

Rob
    DOW,
    Rob's right - it's a situation that will affect your already delicate health if it hasn't already. And I am sure it isn't helping your boyfriend feel better either. I can understand your desire not to involve law enforcement. Start with the management company. Hopefully they will be able to help you resolve the matter quickly.
    Sandy.

PS- Is there something in your lease about quiet hours or fines for breaking rules in the lease? If so, I would mention that when you contact your property manager about this problem.
    As long as this body works, I am going to enjoy life to the fullest for each second of every moment that I can.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Sandy,

Tenants and their guests are supposed to quiet down after 10:00 p.m. Their are no fines though in the contract. The manager does have the authority to evict though based upon complaints. As far as I know everyone here is on a 30 Day Tenancy Agreement.