Thread: 29 yr old just diagnosed after 2nd child born

Thanks

Default 29 yr old just diagnosed after 2nd child born

Hi. My name is Kristin. I am 29 and married with a 3 yr old and a 9 month old. All my life I have struggled w/unusual fatigue, which I always attributed to laziness, but after the birth of my first child, I began having more problems. Migraines. more fatigue. lot of body aches. I've always wrestled w/some mild depression and anxiety, or "moodiness" as I call it. When I was pregnant with my second child, I felt terrible the entire 10 months. 16 weeks of hypermesis (vomitting constantly) and losing 15 pounds was immmediately followed by migraines, constant sinus/allergy type problems, headaches all the time. Literally. All the time. The fatigue was worse. I developed hypoglycemia. I had to eat all the time, and ended up gaining over 60 pounds. I retained a lot of fluid. I developed high blood pressure at about 34 weeks, was put on bedrest at 35 weeks, and had to be induced a week early. Thankfully, my son was healthy. When he was about 3 months old, I broke out in a rash on my chest, which later popped up under my arms and eventually on my stomach and my inner thigh, and hips. I still have it on and off. It comes and goes. It itches pretty badly when it is there. It was horrible for months until I was diagnosed w/lupus. The second dermatologist I saw ran an ana and it was positive, so she referred me to a rheumatologist, who did more bloodwork. My ana the first time was speckled 1:160 and then a few weeks later was speckled 1:40. My eosinophils were over twice as high as they were supposed to be, but I have been tested for allergies and only show very mild enviornmental allergies. I have been on plaquenil 400 mg per day since dec. The rash got better, but I went through a period of wondering if this was all crazy and thinking I shouldn't be taking plaquenil, so I stopped it, and the rash came back. I was convicned the rash was a reaction to zoloft, which I had taken right after having my son. Anyway, that's the jist of my lupus story. I have fatigue, joint pain (which I always thought was due to my moderate scoliosis), tingling in hands, arms, and feet (only since having last baby), and the rash (since having baby). I'd love to hear some of ya'll's thoughts about whether or not it sounds like I have lupus! Also, my chloride is also always like one point high above the normal range on my bloodwork. Is that something to be worried about? My rheumy never mentions it. I am trying to adjust to this "chronic illness." I am also on prozac and topamax.

Thanks

Hello Khockman!!

Welcome & Congrats on your new Baby(I know you said he is 9m, still new(lol) ) ...as I am New to the boards myself!

You are so young and it is a lot to take in..at first and even later..
    Me, personally, I have gone thru a 'form' of denial a few times since being dx'd at 21 and 14 years later as new symptoms come, I have to adjust to this disease & roll with it...so glad your PCP referred you to a Rheumy, after your son...I am not an MD by any means...but it sounds to me like it is...and you will take-in a lot of information here and you will also being giving it...don't be surprised and think b/c you were just dx'd that you cannot help some1 else..and one more thing, your strength will surprise even you moving forward...you made it here..took me nearly 10 yrs to reach out...so you are headed in the right direction...staying informative and having an open 'door' relationship with your Rheumy is a big part of it...

Again, welcome
    Nic

3. The Following User Says Thank You to NicFran For This Useful Post:

khockman (04-05-2010)

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hello Khockkman;
    First, let me welcome you to our family where you will find that you are never alone and that someone always has an answer or, at least, an understanding ear.
    While none of us can say if your symptoms are or are not Lupus, I can say that they do sound like some type of auto-immune disorder. The ANA can be indicative of several auto-immune diseases and further testing will be needed in order to narrow the field. However, your doctor was correct to start you on the Plaquenil because it is one of the most successful and well tolerated drugs in the auto-immune regimen.
    You should know that Plaquenil is a cumulative drug and takes several months before significant improvement can be seen. But once the drug does start working, it usually works very well. I am sorry that you interrupted the drugs progress by terminating it. Have you resumed taking the Plaquenil?? Please speak to your doctor about this and I hope that he will tell you to resume taking it. Also, please know that there are other medications that can be taken with the Plaquenil to ease your other symptoms. Usually, doctors will prescribe Plaquenil and Prednisone. Again, you must give these drugs a chance to work before you make any decisions about terminating, changing, or modifying them!
    Please roam around our forum here, read the sticky's because they are filled with valuable information, read some of the posts and learn from our members. If you have any questions, need any information or just want to talk, we are always here for you.

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Saysusie For This Useful Post:

khockman (04-05-2010)

Thanks

Yes, I have started the plaquenil back. My rheumy had said to stop it if I got sick or had to take antibiotics, b/c it lowered white blood cells. I had been sick w/a cold for over 3 weeks, so I stopped it in hopes it would help me kick it.
    Does the fact that my second ana was only 1:40 cause either of you to think maybe this is not lupus? or am I misinterpreting that result? it seems so low to me. i am confused! thanks for talking.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

In many of us with Lupus, our ANA changes depending upon the activity of the disease. This disease is one that is fraught with relapse and remission. That means that we can have periods of time when the disease is not very active (and our lab tests will confirm this) and we are able to feel almost normals. Then we have periods when the disease is active (also known as a flare-up) where our symptoms worsen, or new symptoms appear. Our lab results will often reflect this also.
    The primary purpose of treatment is to lessen the symptoms and/or to prevent flare ups or to hopefully keep the flare ups from being severe. Lupus is a disease that changes in us and no two persons have the same symptoms or the same progression of the disease.
    So, to answer your question about the change in your ANA...it does not mean that you do or you don't have a disease. It is simply one, of many, indicators of the activity of any given auto-immune disease. It cannot be used alone to make a diagnosis or to dismiss a diagnosis. The ANA must be used in conjunction with other lab results, your symptoms, and your medical history to determine which, if any, auto-immune disease you may have.
    Also, you should know that there are many who definitely have Lupus but have never had a positive ANA. Those people are said to have "ANA-Negative Lupus".
    So, there are so many factors when diagnosing Lupus (or any auto-immune disease). And, as I mentioned, it is a disease that is progressive and it changes.
    I wish that there were definite answers to give you, but there aren't...sorry!

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Saysusie For This Useful Post:

khockman (04-06-2010)