Thread: Chronic fainting, part of Lupus?

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default Chronic fainting, part of Lupus?

I have a history of passing out, anywhere, at any time, out of no where. I will all of the sudden go cold and feel very light headed, my eyesight will go black, my ears will get all hot and down I go. Sometimes I am told I wake up right away, other times I am out for longer, and I always vomit each time I come back out of it and feel all tingly and dizzy. Does anybody else do this? It happens to me very often...That I am afraid to be alone as my most recent episode happened while I was driving. I could feel it coming and was able to pull over but...I wish it would stop, I can't seem to control when it shows up.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

There are so many reasons that can cause chronic fainting. This is certainly something that you should discuss with your doctor.
    I know that one reason for fainting can be a nervous system disorder and Lupus can cause disorders in the central nervous system. However, I cannot say if this is the cause of your fainting because, as I mentioned, the list of causes is quite extensive.
    Do talk to your doctor about this so that tests can be run to find the exact cause of your chronic fainting.

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusis
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Thank you for your reply saysusie,
    He told me it could possibly have to do with lupus, also not too long ago when I had that fainting episode in my car, I found out my blood pressure was really low (90/70) and it was staying there, it wouldn't come back up for weeks. I went to the doctor and had blood tests but I guess my family doctor never really know what to look for since he told me he doesn't know enough about lupus of arthritis, so he didn't see anything too abnormal besides my blood sugar being down. So he told me to change my diet, and eat 3 or more times a day plus carry snacks and something sugary with me incase I feel an episode coming, or to just try to prevent one.
    I had blood tests done March 8th so when I go back to my Rheum on May 4th hopefully he'll see something there. I've fainted all my life and nobody has ever been able to tell me why so I am just wondering if it could possibly be related to this too and if anyone else has this problem. When I was younger I used to faint quite often and would need to have a buddy with me at all times in school incase I went down and hurt myself by possibly thrashing around or just falling in the wrong area.

Thanks

90/70 isn't excessively low pressure, but having low blood sugar myself I know how this can be disturbing. You must snack frequently and always keep an emergency snack with you. I know mine goes in phases. I will be fine for a long time and then other times I feel shaky for days. I know at different times during my cycle it can vary also. Keep a check on..if you have to try the finger meter and document your readings.
    Andrea

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Yeah, I can't remember the exact readings, it was 90 over something, 70, or 50 I forget which one, but apparently low enough that I had to keep track of my blood pressure morning and night for over a week with this little portable blood pressure reader. I keep snacks on me all the time now just to at least try to avoid the episodes because they can be a pain in the butt. Since then though I've been up and down, but never as high as I should be and I guess food is the key right now.

Thanks

Hello Hunniebun.
    I have a verry similar prolbem. Although I faint rarely, I feel like im going to faint more than 10 times a day. My face gets cold, i get chills on my back, im light headed, dizzy and then...nothing. I have low blood preassure, its rarely above 60/90 or whatever...but my dr, dosnt seem to think my blood pressure is too low. I eat every few hours, and always have a snack with me. That helps also, to not get my blood sugar too low. But, on top of that, i feel really fain often, and am also concerned with this. I cant be in the heat or warm shower with out feeling like im gonna go down. It is strange, and I HATE that feeling. It is scary!! I know for me, that part of it is anxiety, but i really feel like their is something else wrong.

Thanks

Hello Hunniebun,

Have you been checked for Anti-phospholipid Anti-body Syndrome? I was passing out and they finally sent me to a hematologist. The labs usually ran are Beta 2 Glycoprotein IGG and IGM. I am not trying to scare you; just remembering what I went through. After dx'd, I take baby aspirin to coagulate my blood.

Let us know what you find out.

Take care,

Faith

Thanks

I have this problem sometimes and was diagnosed with orthostatic hypotension (meaning it happens when I sit or stand up)...but even with my CNS involvement, I can't even be sure that it's the cause.

But if you've literally had this problem all your life (before you had any signs of lupus at all), it'd seem more likely that something would be the cause, IMO.

In any case, I hope your doctor is able to help you get it figured out.
    --Dar
    Neuropsychiatric (aka CNS) Lupus

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Yeah I've been passing out ever since I was a kid, it happens out of no where, but I also have to stand up slowly from laying down or sitting otherwise I will also faint that way. Thanks for your reply.