Thread: Rhuemy leaning more toward scleroderma than lupus

Thanks

Default Rhuemy leaning more toward scleroderma than lupus

Finally had my follow-up appt yesterday, 4.01.10.

Doc showed me the test results:

ANA Titer - 1:160
    ANA Pattern - Homogenous
    Anti-RNP AB - Negative
    Anti-RO AB - Negative
    Anti-LA AB - Negative
    Anti-SCL-70 AB - Abnormal
    SCL-70 - Strong Positive
    Anti-SM AB - Negative

He didn't rule out lupus, but seemed to be leaning more toward scleroderma than lupus. He didn't want to say if I had either.

He's going to wean me off of prednisone (fat face and gaining weight like crazy) and see if any of the lupus-like symptoms disappear.

If this is scleroderma I have a few questions.

The company I currently work for is in the rubber business. At one time, several years ago, I was a silicone rubber mixer. I manufactured silicone rubber on a mill. We used a couple of silica dusts/powders in the manufacturing process, and even though I always used a mask I'm wondering if this could be the cause of the scleroderma? The MSDS's of these couple of silica raw materials mentioned scleroderma.

The doc did put me on Lisinopril (a BP med) because he was concerned about my kidneys.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Charles

Thanks

Hi Charles -

you might find this link site helpful; http://www.sclero.org/medical/causes...al/silica.html - there is a link between raw silica exposure and SSC - there is alos a lot of articles there on SSC in general which I hope you find interesting.

Hope you are feeling better soon and they get the right treatment going -

take care
    much love to all my lupie friends -

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

I hope you found the link that Karenboss provided helpful. If not, let us know and we will do more research on your question.
    Scleroderma is one of the many "sister-diseases" of Lupus. It is an auto-immune disease and researchers have determined that one possible cause of auto-immune diseases could be environmental factors.
    Please let us know if you need anything further and also know that if your diagnosis is Scleroderma, you are still very welcome to particpate and remain a member here. Any auto-immune disorder is a part of our family here.

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!