Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skin rash

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Skin rash

I was diagnosed almost 3 yrs ago w/lupus....fever, extreme swelling and body aches, etc. Been on prednisone and plaquinal. Now I have a horrible rash on my arms, hands, a little on my forehead, chest and back. Now there is a little on my face. The doc has upped my prednisone back to 10 mg ( i was hoping to wean down to 5). And plaquinal 2x a day. Tells me to wait 2 wks and call. I work in the public, and I am so embarrased and depressed! Plus it itches. Aany help or suggestions?
    Thanks, Donna
    Donna

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Donna;
    Your doctors are following protocol with reference to your rashes. The prednisone and plaquenil are found to help the skin rashes on two levels:
    The antimalarials (plaquenil) are all very useful in controlling skin rashes. But, they do tend to work slowly and need to be taken for a number of months before any significant effect is seen.
    The steroids, can also be given intravenously if the skin lesions are very severe. Oral and intravenous steroids obviously have a number of side effects and are therefore usually reserved for skin problems that have not responded to topical treatments and the antimalarials.
    Sometimes skin rashes cannot be controlled with the above treatments or they recur on steroid dose reduction. In these cases, other drugs such as azathioprine or cyclosporin can be used. These drugs are often given for other problems in lupus such as kidney disease but they can be given for the skin alone in difficult cases.
    I know, since you work for the public, that saying that you might have to be patient and wait for these treatments to take affect is not what you want to hear right now. Perhaps someone else on this forum will have some ideas and examples to help you with camoflauge techniques (make-up or something) that might help you in the meantime.
    I know that some of my friends with skin rashes and lesions have had success wearing the mineral make-up. Maybe you can look into it!
    I wish you the best
    Saysusie

Thanks

Default Hi Donna

I'm on both of those same meds, too, and I hate my rash. I'm a red, swollen, speckled mess. It's frustrating but what can we do? I have found some green tinted make-up that helps a LITTLE. Just try to play up your other assets and your red skin won't be as noticeable. I hope you get some relief soon.
    The Proverbs 31 woman didn't have Lupus.

Thanks

I haven't been on prednisone, but am on plaquenil. I developed a rash on my face last year - itchy, pimply looking, scaly,ICKY. I figured it was the lupus. My doc said "hmmm, I think it is rosacea." My rheumy said "hmmm I think it is rosacea."

each prescribed a differnt cream. AND my doc sent me to a dermatologist. Turned out it WAS rosacea, and it was the cream SHE prescribed that finally brought it under control. I have some scarring from it, and now feel I need to wear makeup all the time. THe green tinted base under foundation can be a REAL help when it is really flaring

If your rheumyy isn't sure, be sure to ask for a dermotologist - it isn't ALWAYS the lupus!

Thanks

Have you been out in the sun recently?? I get an AWFUL rash on my face and back these days if exposed to the sun, even with heavy sun screen on. Actually that is what helped get me diagnosed finally, my back was a mess! Dh saw it and jumped away saying I don't know what that is but I sure don't want it. It itched like crazy and was just nasty. I have stayed out of the sun completely lately except walking to my car or mailbox and it is finally going away after 6 months. Have you seen a dermatologist? If not, I agree with hatlady, if you haven't you might want to. Mine took one look at me and told me what I had and the biopsy confirmed it. Hopefully they'll be able to do the same for you (um, minus the biopsy ) and be able to help.
    I have no idea for you about how to cover it up tho cause I've tried all kinds of make up and it all makes the rashes worse for me. So I just go without and if someone else doesn't like the way my face looks then they don't have to look at me. It's not something I can help, and I didn't ask for it. And it don't hurt them a bit. I guess I have developed a thick skin where that is concerned in the last seven years.

Thanks

ops: OHMYGOSH TracyDawn! You brought up the one thing that I should have! After all, I'm the HATlady!!!

Sun can be such a difficult issue for those of us with lupus. I wear a hat sun or cloudy day, as long as the sun is above the horizon. Even walking to the mailbox - a friend of mine always said that sun is cumulative. It took me a long time to believe her, but now I do. I feel better when I stay out of the sun. It helps keep the rosacea (my rash...) in control as well.

Hats need to have 4" or wider brim, and you should not be able to see through them - no open weave straw. Places like sungrubbies, coolibar, sun precautions, all have good websites.

Thanks TracyDawn for bringing up that which I SHOULD have brough up!

Thanks

You are so funny Hatlady. The sun is soooo not my friend now it's unreal. We went camping and my back was exposed and it is just now starting to go away after starting the plaquenil. Not sure if it's coincidence with the med or timing but whatever, I'll take it. I do have a hat that I wear but I just told my dh two nights ago that I think I need a sombrero

Thanks

TracyDawn, not just ONE hat...............MANY hats!!

You deserve a sombrero or two, plus a few more hats. Some for winter...some for summer...some for spring and fall!

Little by little I've expanded my collection - and have spent everywhere from $6 to $60 on a hat. I have turned what could be a chore (damn, I have to wear hats...) into a trademark and a fun thing.

One additional thing - I wear a scarf in the car - to keep my cheeks out of the sun while driving or riding. Hat brims just get in the way!

Plus, staying out of the sun as much as I do has helped my health, I'm convinced of it.

Thanks

That's a lot of hats LOL We are going to Colorado next month so I've been looking for a big hat that's foldable so I can store it on the plane (which is freaking me out btw cause I have never flown!).
    I don't doubt staying out of the sun has helped you a lot. I feel a lot better when I stay out of the sun AND heat (not easy to do in Florida LOL) but I have a seven year old so not always possible. Do you have tint on your car windows? Mine is dark and we have a strip on the windshield too, going from the top to about a 1/4 of the way down of dark tint so my hands and face are shielded as well.
    Do you have a certain store you get your hats from?
    BTW I wanted to let you know, I was searching the net the other day for lupus sites/information, etc. and came across the coffeeroom. Great site

Thanks

Coffeerooms is my "other home" - both boards are special to me, they are very different and I couldn't do with out them! Hope you'll join us now and again over there - always a cup of tea or coffee to share!

My car does not have any tint in the windows, thus the need for covering when I drive/ride. Maybe the next car....someday!

Some places to look for hats:

http://www.hatsinthebelfry.com/page/...slargebrimhats
    Their hats range from the ridiculous ($200!!!!) to the practical - $15.

www.sunprecautions.com

http://www.villagehatshop.com/vhs_womens_felt.html

Look for the brim at least 4", and if it is for a vacation - I'd suggest something with a chin strap string - SO nice to be able to snug it under your chin on a windy day - less to hang on to!

Flying takes patience these days - getting through all the lines etc. Just be patient and watch people. Airports are GREAT places to watch people! I"m kind of a nervous flyer also, I keep reminding myself of the hundreds of thousahds who fly every day....and are JUST FINE.

Hugs dear!