Thread: Hives

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default Hives

Does anyone know any breastfeeding friendly ways to combat very itchy hives? I've read that breastfed babies show symptoms of side effects of using benadryl so I don't want to take anything that will complicate Miles' road to home. I don't even know why the hives are popping up, but the last time I had surgery the same thing happened. I hope my Lupus stays in remission
    Everyday holds the possibility of a Miracle

SLE, Nephritis, Raynaud's, previous ITP
    Plaquenil, baby aspirin, Flinstones vitamins

Thanks

Congrats mama!! Ask your MD because some antihistimines might be okay..I agree I don't think Benedryl is, but possibly Allegra..check it out..you can not stay tortured by itch...can you pump a bunch and then take some med's and bottle feed him the breast milk. I got my daughter used to a bottle too right away "just in case"(breast milk and or enfamil powder is very close to breast milk cosistency)You need a back up plan. Be well and take care.
    Andrea

Thanks

Hi Leksie,
    You must be allergic to something that they use during surgery, like iodine or perhaps latex.
    Here's my thought - can you use something topical, like Caladryl, directly on the hives to help with the itching?
    Keep taking good care of that little sweetie. See if your bookstore has La Leche League's The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding. It is full of helpful information.
    Hugs,
    Marla

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Congrats!!!! When was he born??? I am sorry to hear about the hives. I think it sounds like an allergy to something with the surgery too. Maybe the anesthetic.
    As long as this body works, I am going to enjoy life to the fullest for each second of every moment that I can.