Thread: Introduction

Thanks

Default Introduction

I'm Kellie. I'm 53, married, work in animal sheltering, and am generally a happy, contented person. I've been through a couple of rough years, losing several loved ones, worrying about other folks that have chronic illnesses, but overall life is good... except that lately I hurt so much it's interfereing with my life.

My doctor just had me go in for labs today, where they took 5 big vials of blood. He thinks lupus may be a possible explanation for my joint and muscle aches, weird rashes, and nerve pains... oh, and hives and fatigue. And restless legs. And pins and needles in my thighs, which may be peripheral neuralgia. Oh, and chills and sweats. Ugh.

So, I don't know if I'm in the right place, but I've been reading about lupus and it sounds like a possibility. Some symptoms I've had for quite a while and they haven't bothered me too much, but some new ones are really wearing me out... joint and muscle pain that doesn't respond to Advil. It doesn't matter if I'm lying down or standing up, walking, sitting... they just hurt.

I HATE complaining. I love my job, I love the stuff I do, and I don't want to have it interrupted.

So, the doc has prescribed prednisone to see if it will give me some relief. WIsh me luck!

Kellie

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Kellie, Same symptoms and my Dr. put me on prednisone 5mg q daily and plaqunil 2 times a day, no attacks now just tired certain times a day!! Hang in there and establish meds and a Dr. and you will be fine!!!!!GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!Larry

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Kellie;
    You are, absolutely, in the right place. If your issues are not Lupus, they do sound like some type of auto-immune disorder and, if so, whatever it may be, you are most welcome here.
    Your symptoms are so much like what many of us have gone through. Talking about your symptoms and how they affect you is not complaining. You need to be able to discuss these issues in order to get some answers and/or information.
    Prednisone is usually the first line of treatment for Lupus patients. Often, doctors will also prescribe Plaquenil to help with the fatigue and any skin issues that you may be having. If the Prednisone brings you relief, your doctor may feel that Plaquenil is not needed.
    We are here to help you as much as we can and to make sure that you know that you are not alone. Welcome to our family!!

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

Hi, and thanks for the supportive welcome. I am getting relief from prednisone, so that's good news. (One of my cats is on it, too, and it makes her go hang out by herself. Fortunately it hasn't made me want to hide!) I hope to get the test results back next week. I am afraid they won't show anything and I still won't know why I have these symptoms, but I also am afraid it will show something like lupus or rheumatoid arthritis. But either way I suppose I'll just keep doing what I have to do to stay perky! Have a great day!

Thanks

Hi Kellie, good luck with getting a diagnosis, yes it is scary but at least you know what you are dealing with. I am on mtx plaquenil and pred at 15mg still, as havent been able to reduce past this so far, or get pain and swelling. With the pred I can work, still get pain but not so bad. My tests for lupus/mctd still being done, as nothing showing so far, although rheumy says he will be surprised if it is just RA as not showing usual symptoms. You obviously enjoy your job, so hopefully you can continue when they get the meds right. I work with babies, so very physical too, feeling very tired all the time and no energy by the time I finish. Sometimes it can take years to get the results to show up in the bloodwork, good luck, and take care x
    mabeljane

Thanks

Welcome to WHL, Kellie! As Saysusie said, it does sound like you have something AI related going on.

Trust your instincts and do what you need to do to take care of yourself.

Keep us posted on how your lab tests turn out.