Thread: Anyone else had this?

Thanks

Question Anyone else had this?

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone else ever experienced this weird sensation I get in my skin sometimes. Sometimes I get a patch of skin, sometimes on an arm or a leg, where it just aches. The feeling is weird but it's like the surface of my skin is aching and aches when I touch it or brush it against something. I didn't know if it was lupus related or just me being weird.

Thanx,

Harriet

Thanks

Hi Harriet,

I do have those spots, on different parts of my body, mostly on my upper arms, right next to my left shoulder blade and
    on my right cheek.
    Mine feels more like tissue pain, than surface skin pain.
    I think it is lupus related.

Debbie
    I may have been dealt a bad hand, but at least I'm still playing with a full deck. ( most of the time anyway).

3. The Following User Says Thank You to debbie-b For This Useful Post:

AlphaWolf06 (03-30-2010)

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

I get this quite often. Many times, it feels as if the slightest touch causes pain and that the area is super sensitive. I've never brought this up to my doctors because it happens so infrequently and it is never more than small areas at a time.
    If you find out what this is about, please let us know also.

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Saysusie For This Useful Post:

AlphaWolf06 (03-30-2010)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Just wanted to let you know that this happens to me too, and its usually on my hands and arms. The slightest touch is painful, honestly even air/wind blowing on it can hurt too, so you're definitely not weird.

Thanks

I also experience this skin tenderness. I get the pain on my thighs and upper arms quite frequently. I was curious and did some research and found that it is a symtom of fibromyalgia called cutaneous allodynia.The tenderness is different from most fibromyalgia related tenderness which require some amount of pressure because it can be caused by such lite touches as clothes rubbing against the skin, shaving, or even the wind against your skin. It is believed to be caused by central sensitization, where the nerves in the skin become hypersensitive and cause pain to stimulus otherwise not painful.

I do konw that about 20% of lupus patients have fibro as well but I'm not sure if this skin tenderness or cutaneous allodynia is a symtom of lupus alone.

I was so excited to read that the tenderness I felt was a symtom that actually had a name and that others felt it as well (and that I was not just crazy)...just wanted to share the wealth of knowledge. Hope that brings someone else comfort.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JMM For This Useful Post:

Sherry47 (04-14-2010)