Thread: Thyroid

Thanks

Default Thyroid

Anyone out there suffering from thyroid issues? Mine was fine and then Friday I got a call from my doctor who told me it looks like I now have a new thyroid disease... like lupus has begun hitting it. I have an apt with an endocrinologist to see what's up with that but wonder if anyone here has dealt with that before. Does it get better?

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi SugarSnit,
    I have thyroid problems. I've had portions of my thyroid removed 3 times. I take synthroid. My endocrinologist diagnosed it as Hashimoto's disease. That is also an AI disease. My rheumy said that if you have one AI disease, it is likely you can have another. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
    I don't know who you are going to see, but I've been going to CMed at St Joe's for over 10 years now. My endo guy is very good.

Nonna

Thanks

Thank you so much Nonna! I'll see my endo tomorrow and see how it goes. It makes sense that one AI can go hand in hand with others. *hugs* on your thyroid and glad you seem to have it controlled now. Hopefully they can handle mine. I'm not sure if I have Hashimoto's or not - but it would make sense that it is...

I'll see what the doc says and then ask you any questions I have after tomorrow since you've been down this well travelled path!

Cheers!
    Melissa

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Melissa,

I was looking for some info on here about thyroid problem experiences and your post is exactly what I am going through right now. I see the endo on Monday. What is your doc doing for you? My chiro (who I trust more than most of my other docs and who is very holistic based) gave me a good article today about iodine and it's role in the thyroid. She really doesn't want me to go on thyroid hormone b/c apparantly there is some proof of a link b/w that med and breast cancer. Have you ever heard this? I am looking for more information on this so I can make a more informed decision.

I find this whole thyroid thing very confusing. My doc says my labs are high. My info says that means my thyroid function is low. My research says there is a link with that and birthcontrol. My gynieman says that isn't what's causing me my problems right now. And my chiro says all these docs just want to pump me with drugs to mask the symptoms and not find the cure. Very confusing indeed. I know there is a book out there about the thyroid issue so I am going to look for it.

Thanks,
    Sandy
    Last edited by SandyR; 05-01-2010 at 09:14 PM.
    As long as this body works, I am going to enjoy life to the fullest for each second of every moment that I can.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

a My chiro (who I trust more than most of my other docs and who is very holistic based) gave me a good article today about iodine and it's role in the thyroid. She really doesn't want me to go on thyroid hormone b/c apparantly there is some proof of a link b/w that med and breast cancer. Have you ever heard this? I am looking for more information on this so I can make a more informed decision.

I find this whole thyroid thing very confusing. My doc says my labs are high. My info says that means my thyroid function is low. My research says there is a link with that and birthcontrol. My gynieman says that isn't what's causing me my problems right now. And my chiro says all these docs just want to pump me with drugs to mask the symptoms and not find the cure. Very confusing indeed. I know there is a book out there about the thyroid issue so I am going to look for it.

Thanks,
    Sandy[/QUOTE]

Sandy, I've been taking synthyroid for over 30 years. I've never heard of a link with breast cancer; also I have heard of one with premarin. and birth control meds

do what you feel comfortable with and definitely see an endo. part of your fatigue is definitely hypo thyroid function.

Feel free to ask questions; after 30 years I feel like an expect on hypo and no thyroid.

Nonna

Thanks

I've had thyroid issues off and on for years now. When I was first diagnosed with lupus, they said I also had Hashimoto's. The doctor put me on Armour thyroid, which is a more natural thyroid medication. It also doesn't do nearly as much as Synthroid. When my holistic doctor closed his practice, I went to an endo, and he said my levels were absolutely perfect without Armou, that I absolutely do not have Hashimoto's!! I do, however, have a goiter that continues to grow. I go every June for a re-check and it inevitably ends up being an ultrasound, then a biopsy, all in the same appointment. I don't even mind them amymore. Last year he was a bit alarmed because the goiter grew so much in one year. I can just imagine what this June will bring...!!
    Love...faith...joy...hope...strength...
    Lupus, you have no chance!

Love and hugs,
    Cheryl
    (mom to my little Chihuahua, Brandi)

Diagnosed with SLE, Sjogren's, Reynaud's, Celiac, and arthritis November 2006.

Thanks

Fortunately, I've not had any issues with my thyroid, but understand it's very common amongst those of us with AI diseases.

I believe one of the biggest challenges is finding just the right amount of medication that makes you feel well, yet not wired.

Good luck!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by brandichi View Post
    I've had thyroid issues off and on for years now. When I was first diagnosed with lupus, they said I also had Hashimoto's. The doctor put me on Armour thyroid, which is a more natural thyroid medication. It also doesn't do nearly as much as Synthroid. When my holistic doctor closed his practice, I went to an endo, and he said my levels were absolutely perfect without Armou, that I absolutely do not have Hashimoto's!! I do, however, have a goiter that continues to grow. I go every June for a re-check and it inevitably ends up being an ultrasound, then a biopsy, all in the same appointment. I don't even mind them amymore. Last year he was a bit alarmed because the goiter grew so much in one year. I can just imagine what this June will bring...!!
    Brandichi,
    They have checked me for years for thyroid as well with my symptoms and always the #'s come back "normal" too. I've always just accepted that as being a good thing b/c I didn't really know that "normal" might not be good enough. I found out through some research that the "normal" range is really just the "average" range that females fall into which, in this country, is not the same as the "optimal" range. Did you know that thyroid disease is running rampant in the US and that there is a huge iodine deficiency contributing to that? Many doctors, researchers, and medical studies are claiming that as much as 60% of the female population is actually hypo or hyper active with regards to their thyroid. 60%! That seems like an incredibly high number to me and I am a little skeptical that it is really that high, but still, there are multiple studies showing a large number close to or higher than this percent. Did you also know that there is evidence that the synthetic thyroid drugs being perscribed are producing "normal" numbers in bloodwork but are not fully being converted from T4 to T3 which is the most active hormone? I didn't know these things last week but I am finding the information alarming. The resources are consistantly saying that Thyroid problems are running rampant and undiagnosed in the US and that the current drug therapies are not as efficient as some other options. I am going to write down Armour and ask the endo about that and about iodine deficiency and do some research on that drug. I am going to keep looking into this thyroid thing going on in the US. There is a book I have seen before that I am going to go buy (I think it's called the Thyroid Epidemic) and I want to read it and other sources available to get a clearer idea of what is going on. I am also going to look for a nutritionist b/c I think I will feel a lot better with a more rounded diet. I am sure that I am lacking vitamins and minerals even though I try to eat well. I might need some sort of drug therapy too, but I want to know with eyes wide open what I am stepping into before I start a new drug therapy. If you want, I will share with you what I find out. I know they will do a biopsy on Wednesday's appt since I already had a CT and Ultrasound. That I am not looking forward to as I just loathe needles. Is the FNA painful? Does it leave a scar? I already have a scar from last years surgery so I really don't want another one in that area. I know the scar seems like such a silly little thing to worry about but I really can't stand people staring at my scars and I hate turtlenecks!

Sandy
    As long as this body works, I am going to enjoy life to the fullest for each second of every moment that I can.

Thanks

Sandy,

Please do share what you find out - I didn't know any of this information that you posted, and I'm very interested! 60% - WOW!!! It never made a whole lot of sense to me how I could have Hashimoto's with one doctor, and not have it with another, but I figured it's just the craziness of AI diagnosis.

I don't remember a lot about Armour besides it's made from pigs. (Like Armour bacon - same company) I thought it helped with the fatigue I was experiencing, but then once the lupus flare subsided, the fatigue wasn't as bad, so I didn't know exactly where the fatigue really was from.

The FNA wasn't too bad, although I was completely terrified the first time!! Mostly because I didn't know what to expect - it all happened so quickly. All I though the appointment would be is a consultation, blood draw, and that's it. It stings a bit, but I wouldn't call it painful at all. I've had FNA three times, and never had a scar, so don't worry about that. They usually put a small band-aid on my neck when I leave, but there's usually no blood. Occasionally I can see a teeny tiny mark where a needle went in, but it fades after a day or so. Honestly, it's a very quick procedure and nothing to worry about. I was always more worried it would show thyroid cancer, and that was MUCH more stressful than the FNA itself.
    Love...faith...joy...hope...strength...
    Lupus, you have no chance!

Love and hugs,
    Cheryl
    (mom to my little Chihuahua, Brandi)

Diagnosed with SLE, Sjogren's, Reynaud's, Celiac, and arthritis November 2006.