Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Would you all please share your thoughts with me

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default Would you all please share your thoughts with me

I'm in the midst of a dilemma; I need to make a decision. Actually i've made the decision, but i'm not sure if it's the right one.

My father is 93; my mother is 85. He, my father, is preparing for the end. My sister lives in Spain, so everything is falling on me. My mother's memory is bad; she gets lost if she's in unfamiliar territory. Dare I use the "A" word??? If I bring her to my home, she would have to leave her friends and all.

My father wants me to go down there to florida. He does not know about most of my illnesses. I think I could handle it; it means I would retire and not have to get a job. My responsibility would be mother. My problem would be flares; should I attempt this??

i'd have to give up my docs here and find new ones in that area of florida. this concerns me. How would I go about transferring my records. Do Docs let you have copies of everything?

Please share your thoughts, it would help set my mind at ease or tell me if I should change my mind.

thanks,
    Nonna

Thanks

First off go down and take care of your mother. She needs you. Second off you can get all your records from your doctors. I got all of mine from the VA. Your doctors can refer you to new doctors in Fla. Third off you can do find in Fla. you just have to take care of yourself. Sunscreen and stay covered up. No big deal. I live on the Texas coast and sail.

There is a lady here on the forum that lives in S. Fla. and she sails with her husband. Her name is Renee. She might see this thread and reply.

But most of all your mother needs you now and so does your dad. Just remember one thing. No regrets. Never let good by or see you later without I Love You in it.

Hope this eases your mind some.

Sitting on the beach drinking lemonade.
    Fair wind and following seas.
    David

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Grime For This Useful Post:

Nonna (03-28-2010)

Thanks

Hi Nonna, I think David is right. Your parents need you, they have no one else to rely on, and are asking for your help. Its a big decision for you, starting again, leaving your job and friends, being a carer. As for your own health, ofcourse it will be difficult, no doubt about that. All your records should be transferred and you could ask for copies for yourself too. Ultimately its your decision, only youknow what is the right thing to do, although it would seen you have made up your mind. Good luck
    mabeljane

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mabeljane For This Useful Post:

Nonna (03-28-2010)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Thank you both. You do set my mind at ease. this confirms my decision to go. Actually David i will be going to So florida. Hopefully it won't be for many years yet; my Dad is still healthy. He looks real good for 93 and would you believe he still plays golf. He uses a cart to get around the course now. But he plays.

nonna

Thanks

Hi again Nonna, your dad sounds amazing!!! what a wonderful achievement to still be playing golf. Glad you have made your decision, and that you will all benefit from your decision. I wish you lots of luck and many years of happiness with your parents x
    mabeljane

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Nonna, I'm so glad your mind is put to ease.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, you are an awesome daughter!!

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Nonna,

I just want to say that I agree with the others. Your parents need you, and if I were in your situation, I would go. Your parents sound like wonderful people, and the fact that you are willing to go to these lengths to help them, tells me that you are a wonderful daughter.

Rob

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Thank you all for your input. I want to do this but was unsure if I could handle it. I'm going to tell my Dad yes I will come when I'm needed. He wanted me to think about it. He thinks it's a major decision on my part. But it's not, not really; I'm going to do what I want to do.

My only regret is that I will not be able to take my cat with me.

No pets allowed....... Boo Hoo

Thanks to all again,
    Nonna

Thanks

Did you move to spend time with your parents? How are they?

Blog Entries
    Thanks

At this point I'm still here with my daughter's family in the Atlanta area. I make trips down about every 2 months to visit with my parent. They are going north for a month now to spend time with my uncle and his wife. I'm also hoping they will come here at Christmas to be with the great grandkids. Both are still very healthy.

Thanks for asking,
    nonna