Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Restasis or plugs for dry eyes??

Thanks

Default Restasis or plugs for dry eyes??

Howdy all!

I wanted to find out if anyone has had experience with using Restaisis (prescription eye drops) or plugs for the eye ducts to prevent dry eyes. I have had my eyes checked and I am considering what to do. I'm leaning towards the plugs. Any feedback would be wonderful.

Thanks!

Andyman

Thanks

Hi andyman, I've never heard of plugs used for the purpose of dry eyes, how does it work? The only thing I've ever used is Systane OTC drops. They're not bad, not great, either!

Mitch

Thanks

Mitch:

The plugs are evidently little plugs they put into the corner of your eyes (closest to the nose) and they plug up the ducts that drain your tears. This leaves the tears in your eyes longer.

From what I understand they give you temporary ones for a couple of days so that you can determine if they will work for you and then they put in permanent ones.

I've been using drops too and I have the same viewpoint. They are okay but not great.

Andyman

Thanks

I think I said this somewhere else, but my mum had four plugs put in (three times!) for Sjrogen's. For her, they didn't work, they kept working their way out to the surface and causing irritation and in one case a scratch on her cornea.

I think they do work for some people, in my mum's case, she's now doing ok on tons of drops now

Thanks

Thanks for the info on dry eyues and drops, etc, as I have been having recent problems. The wierd thing is it only really bugs me at night. Is this wierd or what?
    Missy

Thanks

I get dry eyes at night, too... I think mine might be from staring too long at the computer screen, though... LOL ... But, this could be because of Lupus, too?
    "All sounds are potentially dangerous.
    All sounds are potentially medicinal.
    All sounds are beautiful." ~Yoko Ono

Thanks

Interesting. My eyes are the worst in the morning.

One thing my opthalmologist told me is that the biggest mistake people make when they are on the computer is not blinking enough. Just wanted to pass that along.

Andyman

Thanks

Default Restasis or Plugs...how about both

I know this is an old post, but it comes up in searches so I wanted to add to it in case it can help someone. I have had major problems with my eyes since the onset of lupus. The opthamologist said he felt I should get the plugs. I did and it made my eyes more comfortable, but I still couldn't see very well...my computer screen is so blurry as were typewritten papers. It was so frustrating. I went to the VA hospital and the doctor there explained to me that Restasis is an immunosuppressant and he felt that if I used it along with the plugs I might actually get some relief. The studies show that with plugs it does not increase the tears...but he felt it would fix inflammation. Anyway, long story short, I am typing this looking at my computer screen and I can see it.! It has really helped me in conjunction with the plugs...For the first time in two years I actually see and feel some relief for my eyes!

Thanks

I was at my eye doc's recently - interesting. I saw they had a sample of a pill.....

1/2 fish oil, 1/2 flax oil. VERY high omega 3. Supposed to help with dry eye.

Well.....I've been taking 4 flax oil caps a day for a couple years. And I havne't had much dry eye during that time. Now and again i need to use over the counter drops, but not so bad.

Don't know if it is the flax oil or good luck, but heck, it is cheap and worth a try! If you use fish oil, though, be careful - the cheaper brands can have a higher level of mercury. Talk to your pharmacist to find out what brand is the purest. Flax avoids that issue.....
    ~"I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe." (Dalai Lama)

Thanks

Andyman,

I have been using Restaisis for about 2 months now. I have noticed a difference already! I do not have that uncomfortable, dry, pasty feeling in my eyes anymore. The Dr. warned me about the burning feeling in the eyes when the drops go in and yes, I do experience the burning. But it is only for about a minute. I think that is a small amount of time, if I end up with non-dry eyes. I have found I do not have to use eye-drops though out the day anymore. I was using them about every hour at work (computers!) and a bit less in evenings and weekends.

Also, Restaisis has a rebate program going on right now to you can save a bit on money there. It is on their web-site.

I have never tried the Plugs, so I cannot comment on them.
    LupieGirl

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
    Emerson