Thread: Question about fevers

Thanks

Default Question about fevers

I know a lot of us deal with fevers on a regular basis and I've had one for a really long time. When I don't have a fever, my normal body temp is usually 97.5. I figure since my body temp is fairly low that anything over 98.6 would be considered a fever. MY rheumy said that it doesn't matter what your normal body temp is and that she didn't consider my temp of 98.9 to be a fever when I was at my last visit in July. They take your temp with an ear thermometer which isn't very accurate anyway. I don't know why they do that. Anyway, I've read conflicting reports about when you consider yourself having a fever. What has anyone here heard?

Thanks

Hiya,

I just checked the conversion tables and to be honest, I wouldn't concider your rise in temp as a fever either, sorry. I'm a nurse in the UK, we don't concider anything below 38 degrees, which is 100.4F.

I often get night sweats and occasionally day fevers, but as a general rule, they don't show up so well with a thermometer... just by running my hands through my hair you can tell I'm not right, lol.

Our training says anything above 37.5 (99.5) is a borderline pyrexia and above 38 (100.4) is a temperature.

Sorry mate, I know its frustrating.... perhaps describing it in a different way, like if you wake with soaking hair like me... not a pyrexia, but a night sweat etc.

Cx

Saysusie is online now Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Hippimom2;
    Body temperature is a measure of the body's ability to generate and get rid of heat. The body is very good at keeping its temperature within a narrow, safe range in spite of large variations in temperatures outside the body.
    Most people think of a "normal" body temperature as an oral temperature of 98.6 F(37 C). This is an average of normal body temperatures. Your temperature may actually be 1F (0.6C) or more above or below 98.6 F(37 C). Also, your normal body temperature changes by as much as 1F (0.6C) throughout the day, depending on how active you are and the time of day.
    A rectal or ear (tympanic membrane) temperature reading is 0.5 to 1F (0.3 to 0.6 C) higher than an oral temperature reading. A temperature taken in the armpit is 0.5 to 1F (0.3 to 0.6 C) lower than an oral temperature reading.
    Body temperature is very sensitive to hormone levels and may be higher or lower when a woman is ovulating or having her menstrual period.
    In most adults, an oral temperature above 100 F(37.8 C) or a rectal or ear temperature above 101 F(38.3 C) is considered a fever.
    So, it does not seem that your temperature of 98.9 would be considered a fever. Try not to overworry about this and cause yourself any undue stress.
    I wish you the best
    Saysusie