Thread: merely stress induced?

Thanks

Default merely stress induced?

I have so many symptoms and have been going to different doctors since 2008. Most visits were due to breathing, chest pains/problems, and nerve pains (doctor said it was due to VB12 deficiency but the suppliments didn't help). Aside from that, I have been having problems with concentration, memory, vision, throat problems, blood circulation (my feet and hands go numb or burn and are purple/blue most of the time) widespread pain and swollen knee, ankle, shoulder, and wrists. Oh, and I've always had problems with my skin. Red, patchy, huge pores, patches free of pigment, and rashes on my face, mostly spread from cheek to chin to cheek.

Could all of this be merely stress induced or related to any condition?

Thanks

that's one thing I'm wondering for me also - has all of my health issues been caused by stress? I know stress causes our bodies to breakdown and not heal well, so maybe stress is causing our bodies to fight against it also?

Blog Entries
    Thanks

stress can definitely cause a flare, but so can surgery, or any physical injury. Whenever our body is working harder, then our immune systems kick into high gear, and the antibodies attack even harder.....thus, we are in a flare. The antibodies are designed to heal and protect, but with an autoimmune disease, they also attack our bodies.

so, is stress causing your problems, NO. is stress aggravating your problems, probably so.
    Phyllis

share a smile today

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Phyllis is right...stress is just one of many triggers to put someone in a flare. There are some articles out there that have the opinion that you can create autoimmune disease thru chronic stress but I don't buy it. Stress just makes matters worse.

Here's a clip of an article on the topic. Link to article...http://www.emaxhealth.com/7/14401.html

Is lupus caused by stress? The short answer is "no."

While stress may appear to set off lupus flares, there hasn't yet been evidence to indicate that stress, in itself, is enough to cause lupus or a lupus flare.

This clinical evidence is important in that some people might blame themselves for their lupus, believing that their stress might have caused the lupus. Such a rationalization is very human and understandable, but the reality is that our understanding of the cause of lupus is incomplete but that it does appear that lupus is not caused by psychological factors.

There is some biological evidence of links between stress and lupus flares. Such research focuses on B and T suppressor cells, cytokines, and various types of antibodies. It should be noted, however, that these research findings are interesting but have not yet been shown to have clinical, practical relevance.

While stress does not seem to be a primary cause for lupus, it is clear that lupus causes people stress through its physical effects, its related uncertainty, and the resulting worries about physical problems.