Thread: Neurontin?

Thanks

Default Neurontin?

My doctor (not the rheumy, the internist) just prescribed neurontin. I don't know a whole lot about it yet, and I'm a little hesitant to start because he said I could get that "hangover" feeling in the morning and I'll have to experiment on the weekend with how it affects me. He's prescribing it for fatigue and pain. I guess it makes sense, although I'm not sure how taking a pill to help me sleep is going to cure afternoon fatigue, but at this point I'm willing to try almost anything. I want desperately to be more active again now that spring is here.

So if you're on it, what do you think? Were there any really bad side effects? I'm starting at 100mg, which he said is a very low dose, and I'll probably take my first dose on Saturday night.
    Love...faith...joy...hope...strength...
    Lupus, you have no chance!

Love and hugs,
    Cheryl
    (mom to my little Chihuahua, Brandi)

Diagnosed with SLE, Sjogren's, Reynaud's, Celiac, and arthritis November 2006.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I was put on neurontin, lieraca and topomac for pain and i could not tolorate any of them. Hope that it works for you Bonita

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Hi Brandichi,

I've been taking Neurontin for awhile now to control pain from Trigeminal Neuralgia. I am on a relatively high dose of 600mg three times a day. When I first started it, it was a low dose and I felt sleepy, drunk/high, and had a feeling similar to a hangover. It went away after about three days. It came back a bit each time my neuro upped the dosage. I feel no significant side effects from it at this point. For me, the initial side effects were nothing compared to the pain of TN, so for me, it was worth it, and it has kept the TN pain away.

Rob

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Very useful info thanks.Maybe im going to mention this to my rheumi.I need help for pain,fatigue and my dreaded jaw throb.Hope you are doing ok on it Brandichi,miss you.xxxxx
    I am still here,just been on new meds so unable to function like i used to.I will pop back,just know im thinking of you all and hoping you are keeping on keeping on.xxxxxxx

Thanks

Well, I haven't started it yet, although I filled the prescription. I read the literature on it, and it said it can cause suicidal thoughts, and since I'm very depressed right now, and live alone, I was afraid to go on it when I'm feeling like this. I'm NOT suicidal and have not been before, but I was also not depressed like this for a long time, and I was scared. As soon as I get fully past all of this emotion, I'll give it a try. Probably during spring break, coming up at the end of next week, when I'll be able to deal with any typical side effects that come along with it, like the hangover effect.

Love and hugs,
    Cheryl

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Cheryl,

Yes i understand what you mean.Why dont you let your doctor know about your worries about the side effects? I know you are not feeling that way,but i so understand that certain meds can mess up your thoughts,its the drug inside and not you. Sending you gentle hugs.
    love Amanda.xxxx
    I am still here,just been on new meds so unable to function like i used to.I will pop back,just know im thinking of you all and hoping you are keeping on keeping on.xxxxxxx

Thanks

I've not tried this med, but I can certainly understand your hesitation about the side effects, especially when you've been under a black cloud.

I think it is wise to start it on the weekend (or even a Friday), just to see how bad the "hangover" might be.

Hope things start improving for you

Thanks

I've been on neurontin for over a year and so far, so good. I take it for neck/back pain. I was like you, lots of side effects, but the, what doesn't have a million of those? I waited until the weekend to start mine; I take it twice daily (supposed to be 3 times), usually with the plaquenil (sp?). Now that med kinda scares me, but take it anyway! Good luck with the neurontin.

Thanks

I think I'm almost ready to start neurontin now. I have been having more pain lately, especially in my right hip, and it's bad enough that I haven't slept well the last few nights. So maybe now, especially as the depression is gone and I'm doing better in many ways, I will feel more comfortable taking it. What I really like now too is that it can help me sleep in addition to stopping the pain, because if I keep taking Tylenol, my liver count is going to go through the roof.

I mentioned it to the physician assistant I saw last Saturday, when I got a sinus infection and she reassured me that neurontin is a really great medication and I may be surprised how well it works for me. So since I have no major plans for the weekend, I'll see how it goes.

Love and hugs,
    Cheryl