Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weight loss... without trying.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rob View Post
    Nonna,

This is a bit off-topic, but I have to ask. I know your signature "Hope Springs Eternal" can refer to a Biblical passage, but I have to ask if the movie The Shawshank Redemption is your reason for the quote. I ask because it's one of my all-time favorite movies.

Rob
    Rob

This is my third try at replying; my fingers just didn't want to co ordinate this morning.
    I was trying to be upbeat when I typed that. I tend to get depressed about my weight and go on eating binges - eating all the things that I'm not supposed to eat.

I've never seen the Shawshank Redemption; I tend towards Action Adventures or disaster movies or SCIFI.
    But I'll check it out.

Nonna

Blog Entries
    Thanks

A little under 1 in 10 patients with lupus suffer with another problem of autoimmunity. This is where the body attacks the thyroid gland that controls the body's metabolism. The thyroid gland can either become underactive or overactive. If the gland is overactive, it can cause sweating, anxiety, shaking, heart pounding and weight loss, if underactive the skin becomes dry, weight gain is a problem and you can slow down mentally. Sometimes the thyroid gland (which is found at the front of the neck) can become swollen. A thyroid problem is easily detected with a simple blood test. It is also quite easily treated.
    From this site...http://www.uklupus.co.uk/fact17.html

Are your thyroid problems connected to lupus/ai diseases? I'm wondering about that one myself...thyroid trouble is common in my family and I've had sweating, the shakes, and my heart has been pounding now and then so I'm thinking after considering how this disease can attack the thyroid, hmmmm.

Ugh, research is hard work. It really matters how you word things in search engines. Lol. I couldn't find anything until I worded the search differently after 3 or 4 changes. Lol. And after changing it that one time, this is all I could find, how it attacks the thyroid, but I'm wondering if there are other reasons... other than medications, being more inactive/active, diet changes, etc... I just wonder if this disease directly affects metabolism in other ways than the thyroid. I'm going to keep searching.

Abbagirl

I have another AI disease called Hashimoto's Disease. the majority of my glands have been attacked. Everytime I have an attack or flare; I have to go to the cancer section at the hospital to be monitored. They can never tell whether it's the AI in action or cancer from the tests.

As for any AI disease effecting metabolism, I think if it attacks the digestive system. It would decrease the body's ability to absorb nutrients. IE it's harder to gain weight and keep it on. The opposite of my no metabolism problems.

Hope this helps,
    Nonna

Thanks

Same thing happens to me, I always try to eat more to maintain my weight. Any flare first thing I will loose my appetite..... I am 10 lbs under my original weight.

Thanks

Wow, I wish I could lose some weight!
    I've had more gastro problems in the past couple of years, but that doesn't stop me from cooking and eating almost anything under the sun. I have tried to make sure that we're eating very fresh and very healthy food, though. It's been many months since we've had any fast food, and we've sworn off of soda and anything that is processed.
    Even with all of that, my weight just stays the same - about 10-15 lbs. above what it should be.
    Marla

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I have times when I have no appetite. The thoughts of eating makes me feel nauseous when I get this. I think mine comes from Lupus. But at times my appetite is out of control and I want to eat everything in sight. My thyroid also plays a part in this.
    But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint. Isaiah 40:31

Take Care,
    Becky

Thanks

I would say i have lost over 40 pounds in the past year prior to being diagnosed without trying. I was increasing my food intake and still losing weight. Now that i have been diagnosed and commenced plaq and pred i have managed to maintain the weight i was at diagnosis but am yet to regain any. Not that i want to now! I originally wondered if i had thyroid problems, but have had my levels checked and they are normal.