Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weight loss... without trying.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default Weight loss... without trying.

I wonder if unexplained weight changes can happen due to lupus.

I lost 10 lbs in a month without trying at all. At first I was thrilled, but now I'm worrying. I had weight issues years ago that the internist couldn't explain. I weighed 89-90 lbs for years...way before we knew about the AI issues. I hope that's not what is going on again. Nothing I tried changed my weight for a very long time. Then later, for no known reason, I started gaining weight. The doctor said maybe it's just a high metabolism and to enjoy it, but it was hard when I looked so awful and felt as bad as I looked. Should I be worried? I'd like to just relax and be happy I've lost 10 of the 25 lbs I wanted to lose, but I'm a worry wart! I've been stuck in bed sleeping my life away since the beginning of February and that's only improved some recently. How did I lose 10 lbs? Can lupus do something to our metabolism?

How many of you have had weight loss/gain without doing anything to add to it or take it away...and nothing you do changes it? What have your doctors told you?

Thanks

I have had it. I see my rheumy eveyr 6 months, and literally I'll go from being like 7st to 8 1/2st. Like early 2009 i was over 8st all year, went up to about 8st 10, then by November had gone down to 7 n 1/2 stone.

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

I have trouble keeping weight on. My appetite just has not been the same since the SLE diagnosis. Most of the time, nothing sounds good, or tastes good. Foods I used to love are now just Blah for me. Eating regularly is a chore, and I can easily drop 10lbs very quickly if I don't make myself eat. I also have a fast metabolism, which does not help. My ideal weight for my height and age is 200lbs, and I stay at that weight most of the time, but loss, and then slow gain are typical for me.

If the weight fluctuations are worrying you, talk to your Dr. about it. That's more stress and worry that you don't need, and that Lupus would love to feed on.

Rob

Blog Entries
    Thanks

because of my thyroid problems I've always had trouble losing weight. but the last year I was doing good I'd lost a whopping 10 pounds. Now I've gained it all back plus another five. i don't know if it's the meds or not.

But I tend to think that gaining or losing involves something that is going on, either the meds or our bodies reactions to lupus.

Nonna

Hope springs eternal!!!!!

Thanks

i believe that it has things to do with your body and medication. everyone needs protein to get without it, the body starts to break down muscle to get protein which can cause us to get skinny especially when you have kidneys that leak protein. the other factor is the medicine. most of the medication has side effects that's why they use other meds to counter act that and then it just becomes a big cycle.

also when you are losing a lot of weight in a month without trying then that means your body doesn't have the nutrients it needs. so your body begins to break down like the protein example i have mentioned above.

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Nonna,

This is a bit off-topic, but I have to ask. I know your signature "Hope Springs Eternal" can refer to a Biblical passage, but I have to ask if the movie The Shawshank Redemption is your reason for the quote. I ask because it's one of my all-time favorite movies.

Rob
    Last edited by rob; 03-18-2010 at 12:00 AM.

Thanks

Few good points. I think one thing that may have caused mine is that since my SLE's got worse, theres more and more food I can't eat. For example Dairy makes my stomach hurt, so no Cheese whereas used to eat loads, and also greasy foods make my stomach churn so cut that out my diet too, and I eat more salad so spose thats where its risen from.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Thanks for contributing to the discussion all. Lots of interesting points.

SuperGiv...I haven't been able to enjoy dairy in years or greasy foods. I've had dxed irritable bowel for years so stay away from all the no no foods and triggers. Oh it sucks living without all those goodies to enjoy doesn't it! I really miss ice cream and other creamy foods. I've tried a lot of fake ice creams and some are good, but nothing is as good as the real thing.

Capn...you've got me curious about my new meds, but none of them really affect my appetite and I eat a lot of protein, but I wonder if some do affect absorption of protein. That's something I'm going to dig into more.

Rob, bless you heart, I have hated when I lose my appetite but I've never had it that bad. Making yourself eat when you don't want to sucks. I've done that countless times and nearly gag while eating. Ugh.

Nonna...while I was doing some digging on the net, I came across this...

A little under 1 in 10 patients with lupus suffer with another problem of autoimmunity. This is where the body attacks the thyroid gland that controls the body's metabolism. The thyroid gland can either become underactive or overactive. If the gland is overactive, it can cause sweating, anxiety, shaking, heart pounding and weight loss, if underactive the skin becomes dry, weight gain is a problem and you can slow down mentally. Sometimes the thyroid gland (which is found at the front of the neck) can become swollen. A thyroid problem is easily detected with a simple blood test. It is also quite easily treated.
    From this site...http://www.uklupus.co.uk/fact17.html

Are your thyroid problems connected to lupus/ai diseases? I'm wondering about that one myself...thyroid trouble is common in my family and I've had sweating, the shakes, and my heart has been pounding now and then so I'm thinking after considering how this disease can attack the thyroid, hmmmm.

Ugh, research is hard work. It really matters how you word things in search engines. Lol. I couldn't find anything until I worded the search differently after 3 or 4 changes. Lol. And after changing it that one time, this is all I could find, how it attacks the thyroid, but I'm wondering if there are other reasons... other than medications, being more inactive/active, diet changes, etc... I just wonder if this disease directly affects metabolism in other ways than the thyroid. I'm going to keep searching.

Thanks everyone. Hope you're all having a great day.

Thanks

maybe i don't have lupus because i don't sweat and i'm pretty skinny, and my skin is fairly dry in the winter.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Oh Leslie,
    Im sorry to read this ,but maybe you do need to tell your doc now if you are still llosing it.I know i was 11 stone after a long usage of steriods i was soooooooo hungry if you stood still long enough i would have eaten you But now recently ive lost some and nearly 9 stone.I feel better for it,but understand that it would be worrying if it continues.Not sure if its Lupus as theyre still not sure if i have it But it was an interesting issue to bring up so thanks allot.
    Love Amanda.xxxx
    I am still here,just been on new meds so unable to function like i used to.I will pop back,just know im thinking of you all and hoping you are keeping on keeping on.xxxxxxx