Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: skin biopsy

Thanks

Default skin biopsy

Saturday my dermatologist took some skin on the rash that i have at my risk to do a biopsy on it. I think he did the punch biopsy, and he had to put a stitch. Its swollen and soar. Have to go back in two weeks to get the stitch removed. Anyone ever did one of these, and can this indicate if i have lupus?

Thanks

its wrist and not risk...hahaha typo

Thanks

I had strange disc-shaped, flaky sores back in 1999, long before AI issues were being considered. The PCP that I had at the time was one of those who tried to handle everything herself, because the doctors' group had a deal with the insurance Co. When I kept complaining, she took a sample from one of the sores and sent it to the lab. She seemed quite surprised when the lab reported that it contained T-cells. She called it lymphomatoid papillosis and said that we didn't need to do anything but "keep an eye on it". Now, I really think that this was actually discoid lupus and I wonder if I could have had a diagnosis 7 or 8 years earlier if I had only been able to go to a decent dermatologist.
    I would be curious to know if the doc mentions T-cells to you. Please let me know what you find out.
    BTW - I haven't had one of those sores since I started Plaquenil and MTX - Yeah!
    Hugs,
    Marla

Thanks

hey i will let you know of the outcome of my results. It should be ready this week, but will see my dermatologist next week to remove the stitch, there he would explain the results for me. What is great about him is he didnt waste time, once he saw the rash and saw my ana positive, he immediately acted by doing the biopsy. I did go a a dermatologists prior to him and she was ridiculous, she told me that i am depressed, i was so pissed i could have said 'bad words' to her...sigh...but he is great. Will let you knw whats going on.

Thanks

Hi
    im newly diagnsoed,
    and my father diagnsoed 7 years ago threw same procedure as yourself,so heres hoping you get an answer firm one.dad has discoid lupus misdignosed as fungal infections for many years by gps.
    when he saw a skin specilaist they took a biopsy not sure exactly how.

but he ahd stcihe and was confirmed as lupus by that alone.

let us know how you get on.
    iove eben diagnsoed threw blood work,family history and sytpoms over period of time along wiht good response to lupus medication.
    we al vary so much im also having disc shape dry pacthes,along with constant red inflalmed facial skin butterlfy style.
    psiorisis rulled out.
    take care i can vouch for the waiting time is a horrid feeling and good sites for support really do lessen the time.
    melly c

Thanks

I had a biopsy which told them nothing....I was diagnosed by bloodwork
    Andrea

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default Me too

I had two skin punch biopsies and a lupus panel bloodwork the same time from my dermatologist. SMART MAN. He called me less than a week later to tell me I was absolutely positively dx'd with SLE. I had some of the HIGHEST numbers in my ANA testing he ever saw. Of course, that is NOT an indicator of how bad your disease is active, but with a super duper high double stranded DNA for ANA there was NO DOUBT it was lupus. I didn't always have discoid rashes, I've been photsensitive for yrs, progressively worsening, also experiencing a good 9 or 10 out of the 11 clinical symptoms for SLE over the years as well.

I was told I had everything from docs from psoriasis to allergies to excema to solar urticaria to fibro to being coo coo.(cuckoo)

Needless to say the doc thought I was DEFINITELY nuts when I jumped up and down with excitement to find out I had lupus.

Now that I'm on plaquenil (I'm newly dx-d, Jan 3010) I'm starting to feel alot better. The sun is not as MONSTEROUS to my skin as it was and some of my symptoms are better. I'm also on prednisone till the plaquenil kicks in, about 6 weeks I'm told. My rheumatolgist seems knowledgable. BTW, dermatolgists can be one of the smartest docs u see, IF U GET A GOOD ONE.

Hang in there....the results are coming!!!!! Good for u for getting to where u are!

Julie

Blog Entries
    Thanks

They keep telling me to get a biopsy. But by the time I get a appointment. The rash is gone. My rheumy told me if I got the biopsy it would be a big help in treating my lupus.
    But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint. Isaiah 40:31

Take Care,
    Becky

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Don't take no for an answer. My dermie told me he'd SQUEEZE me in when I had the rash. I waited for a good one; and I got the worst rash I ever had! I called his office and told them he PROMISED to do my biopsy whenever I'm active. HE DID. I went in late on a Friday and he did a quick couple core punch biopsies. DON'T GIVE UP. Next time u have a rash, GO TO THEIR OFFICE! Get it done. Be pushy. What can I say? They sure aren't going to call u and say, hello, Becky?...do u have a rash today? ...would u like to come in for a biopsy? (lol) Best luck, Julie

Thanks

I was first diagnosed with SLE about 4 years ago. My primary doctor misdiagnosed me and thought I had the flu or a bad cold. She kept prescribing me antibiotics, which did nothing for me. I had a 102 deg. fever for weeks not knowing why. Then I developed a weird rash on my cheeks and behind my ears. I thought I ate or touched something I was allergic to so I made an appointment to see my dermatologist. As soon as she looked at my face, she immediately wanted to take a bloodtest and a skin biopsy. She had a good feeling it was lupus related. And after the results were in... she was right! Yes, my dermatologist diagnosed me with lupus. I was upset, confused, and relieved all at the same time. I finally knew why I was sick and not feeling well. I was not in the dark anymore. As soon as I was given the right medications my symptoms were under control. Though I still have my bad days, I feel pretty good overall.

Good luck with your results. Keep us updated.
    "I've learned that when bad times come, you can let them make you bitter or use them to make you better."