Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thrush Contagious?

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default Thrush Contagious?

I've read some things on the net that says no and some say yes and to not share drinks, spoons, forks, or any kissing.

What's the opinion here?

What do you do when you can't get rid of it and you've tried everything...never enjoy kissing ever again?

Eskimo kissing just doesn't cut it!
    Last edited by abbasgirl; 03-04-2010 at 11:41 PM.

Thanks

As an old nursing Mom, I KNOW it is contagious. Baby would have thrush on tongue, I would get an awful rash around the nipple, and then I would almost always get a vaginal yeast infection at the same time! My poor daughter who has had awful yeast infections since she was a teenager dealt with the same thing when she was nursing her son.
    The way that we would treat it was to treat all of the guilty parties at once - the baby, me and the hubby (since I would inevitably pass it along to him, too).
    Don't give up on kissing - just treat him at the same time!
    Marla

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Thanks Marla. It's mind boggling how there are always so many differing opinions about one topic isn't it. I'm thinking it's catching. I don't know if I want to kiss him and treat him although he would think it's a good idea. He's a big smoocher.

UGH I HATE thrush! How long does it usually take to go away? I've had it nearly a month now and been treating it all this time. I've cut out sugars, take acidophilus, change my toothbrushes and clean them and the tongue cleaner too, using the swish and swirl mouthwash, and have taken four diflucan. I think my system is out of whack big time. I've been sleeping more every day than awake too.

Thanks

Wow, usually one Diflucan is supposed to do it. If you've taken four, and you've still got it, I would think that you should talk to your doc about it.
    Marla

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Saw a new doc today for primary care about this. I really like her. I may just change my pcp. I love my pcp but she's been making a lot of bad mistakes since her divorce and the nurses there are getting more and more horrid. The nurses want me to understand they don't like being a pcp kind of practice to me...they only take people for quick things, not help complicated AI patients continuously...no kidding. That's what I was told from the start and they have been doing their best to run me off since. My pcp told me they're full of it and she can be, but I am beyond tired of dealing with those ladies and I'm getting more worried about my pcp's personal problems spilling over into her profession.

ANYHOO. lol. This new doc told me that it's not thrush but something else is causing my mouth to be white. We also suspect some liver trouble. So she took some blood and I call tomorrow to see what they found. I've had some pain right under the base of my right ribs and she said the liver is there and it feels a little enlarged. So I'm a little spooked. We're not sure it was the mtx's doing. Something weird is going on, which isn't news...it's just scarier than the usual stuff.

BUT I do have more energy lately. YES! My sleep schedule is messed up so I'm still trying to fix that, but I can stay awake much more and do things without feeling wiped out so easily. It was so beautiful out today here...just gorgeous. I spent a great deal of the late afternoon on the porch listening to all the critters and looking at the orchids coming up out of the ground. Daughter, me, and the pup sat on the swing and just drank it all in. YEAH SPRING!!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hey
    I am thinking of you and remember......
    Knowing what you are dealing with is winning half the battle.

Nonna

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Thanks Nonna dear. I left you a message on your profile page. (((Hugs)))

Thanks

Sorry I didn't see this post sooner. Ironically, I went through a "thrush" think last year and did the Diflucan once and the swish and swallow twice before I finally went to an infectious disease doctor who looked in my mouth and said "that's not thrush". Super. The first doctor scrapped my white tongue and found yeast, hence her diagnosis. Apparently we always have yeast in our mouth, so that's not accurate to base a diagnosis on. Thrush is white cottage cheese llooking on your tongue and would be found along your gum lines and on the roof of your mouth, around the sides of your tongue, etc. So, if that helps ahnyone....
    My Avatar represents most of my doctors. They don't want to look at what is going on, listen to what I'm saying or tell me anything!! Sound familiar?

Blog Entries
    Thanks

hi leslie girl,

so sorry to hear that you are still struggling with this thrush (or whatever it is). i know you are miserable, but it sounds like you enjoyed the beautiful evening yesterday. Good ole georgia spring weather....can always make us feel better.

so glad to hear about the new pcp that you saw....hooray, there is a decent dr in your area. when do you find out the lab results of your liver test? you might want to contact the rheumy's office, cause i am sure that they took liver tests when you were there last time...you might could use as a comparison.

anyway....so sorry about everything, we need to talk soon.
    Phyllis

share a smile today

Thanks

Hi Abbasgirl,
    Be sure to let us know about the results of the liver test. I sure hope that the MTX didn't cause it, right when it seems to be helping with everything else.
    Hugs,
    Marla