Thread: Not diagnosed, beggining to think I'm crazy

Thanks

Cool Not diagnosed, beggining to think I'm crazy

Hello,
    Yet another newbie seeking advice. I'm suffering joint pain, fatigue,allergies, asthma, chronic nausea when i'm not on nexium, I seem to catch every bug that goes around, dry eyes that respond to restasis and fingers that turn white and then red in the cold.
    I was diagnosed with hashimoto's hypothyroidisim when I was 15. Spent 13 years on synthroid and was convinced that was the problem and switched to armour thyroid this year. Last year about this time I ran the gambit of tests to figure out what the heck is going on, at that time I had serial high white cell counts so my gp sent me to a hematologist who said I was fine and didn't need to be there, next was a rheumatologist who because the only abnormal test I had was an elevated crp said I MIGHT have fibro but because I work 3rd shift, he can't help me and my symptoms are from working third. I have lupus, RA, and thyroid probs on both sides of my family (not in parents, but in aunts and cousins)
    My aunt who has lupus thinks I need to investigate further as she thinks its possible I have it. So the big question is am I crazy? Is this joint pain (ankles, elbows, wrists, heels bilateraly) and fatigue ( I sleep 10 hr and dont feel rested) really third shift when I've worked it for 7 years and started having probs 2-3 years ago? Or should I get a second opinion from a different Rheumy? and Does anyone know a good one in the Lansing, MI area?
    Sorry so long, I needed to vent a bit, I'm sick of being tired and sore all the time.

Thanks

Hey Nightshifter -
    The doctor you saw misinformed you - fibromyalgia does NOT cause an elevated CRP (this is the second time on this forum in the past week that a doc has said that!!) Fibro is commonly seen in patients with lupus - but it has no indication in blood work - it is Dxd by pressure point examination. An elevated CRP indicates inflammation SOMEWHERE in the body (doesnt indicate where unfortunately) and is seen in many conditions, and commonly in lupus - but not in fibro. Your Sx are those seen in lupus (and some ohter autoimmune diseases such as Sjogrens which causes dry eyes) particularly the fatigue and bilateral joint pain. By allergies, do you mean you get rashes? Sometimes rashes that are seen as allergic reactions are actually something else going on. In any case, these symptoms - combined with your family history - warrants investigation. I would absolutely go see someone else. Im not familiar with Michigan (Im a Boston Mass girl) but I CAN tell you that any university hospital is best as they are training residents and/or more familiar with autoimmune diseases than non-teaching hospitals.
    Stick with this....feeling fatigued after a full nights sleep (no matter WHAT shift youre doing) is not normal, as isnt continual joint pain/dry eyes etc. Keep us posted OK? And welcome...you do not have to be Dxd to be welcome here, and the people here are THE most compassionate youll find on the web. So feel free to vent about your symptoms, etc - and look through the "sticky" notes about lupus at the top of the Lauris Lounge Forum.
    Again - welcome
    Lauri
    For God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of power, love and a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7

Thanks

Hi Niteshifter,
    Welcome to WHL. I want to second everything that Lauri just said and let you know that you are NOT crazy. You should learn everything you can from this site and others. With your dry eyes, I would also suggest that you check out a site called Sjogren's World. Then, make an appointment with a different rheumy and tell him/her everything that you put in your post.
    Good luck, and come back to update us and chat.
    Hugs,
    Marla

Thanks

I will ask my sister who has friends in MI ..I have a niece with a very rare disorder and my sister has a network of people, one of which lives in MI..has a lot of medical connections..I will try.
    Andrea

Thanks

Thanks guys for the support. I will get a second opinion after doing some research and Let you know. Its nice to know that I'm not the only one that that thinks somthing may be wrong and this isn't something to just deal with.Thanks for listening.