Thread: Negative Labs

Thanks

Default Negative Labs

Hello!

Hope everyone is having a lovely evening. Just a quick question- how many have been diagnosed with negative labs? Just wondering!!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hello.....ME!!!! xx
    I am still here,just been on new meds so unable to function like i used to.I will pop back,just know im thinking of you all and hoping you are keeping on keeping on.xxxxxxx

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Me!!!! And a lot of others on here too!
    As long as this body works, I am going to enjoy life to the fullest for each second of every moment that I can.

Thanks

I have both positive and negative labs. My ANA has been negative on the two occasions this was tested, once about five years ago and then again last month, but, neither time did they test it during a flare. My SED rate has always been high, going up and down from 30 or 40, to 98, and then back again. The high rates were taken in the ER and my doctor's office when I was in a terrible flare, so, that was to be expected, but, the lower ones were taken at the same time as the negative ANA's, so, negative test results are in no way indicative of a diagnosis.

What I did to get my doctors serious attention is what he really should have done, but, didn't. I have created a timeline of my disease process, from my earliest symptoms that I can remember, to now, put them symptoms into categories, ie skin, eyes, cardiac, pulmonary, etc, and then gave descriptions of what symptoms I have in those categories, when I have had them, and what's been done over the years to attempt to explain them, either by myself or the various doctors. I sum it all up with what I am currently experiencing, and then I give him the written timeline.

That's what got me the referral to a rheumatologist. I don't know how much of it he actually read, but, at least I didn't forget anything, as I often do. If he had any questions about this or that, I referred him to that section on the timeline.

Thanks

It's taken two yeasr for my DX and my test have been negative and postitve as well. But during that time and before had all the signs.
    DX"D with SLE,RA AND AS on 02-09

Blog Entries
    Thanks

You know, I understood this question wrong. Stupid foggy brain. I am not diagnosed, but have been told I have negative labs. That's what keeps them from diagnosing me, even with a host of other symptoms. Sorry about that!
    Sandy
    As long as this body works, I am going to enjoy life to the fullest for each second of every moment that I can.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Ah foggy head here also....i was told i had Lupus then when labs came back negative they undiagnosed me.sorry i didnt read it right.xxxxx
    I am still here,just been on new meds so unable to function like i used to.I will pop back,just know im thinking of you all and hoping you are keeping on keeping on.xxxxxxx

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

I guess it would depend upon which labs were negative when you were diagnosed. It is quite possible to be diagnosed with negative ANA. When this occurs, however, there are usually other labs that are positive. So, which labs were negative when you were diagnosed??

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

Yep, my ANA has never been positive. Dx'd in November 2009.
    Shannon
    Divorced
    Registered Nurse
    Proud Momma to an 8 month old kitten. She was on death's door when I found her and now she growing up into a beautiful cat, she's my baby.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change...
    The courage to change the things I can...
    And the wisdom to know the difference.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

So, a negative ANA is not uncommon. Since your ANA was negative and you were diagnosed anyway, I am assuming that some of the following tests were positive?:
    *anti-Ro (also called anti-SSA)
    *anti-La (anti-SSB).
    *positive anticardiolipin (if it was `IgG` anti-cardiolipin and in high numbers such as 30 or more
    * anticardiolipin - IgM and IgA
    *anti-phospholipid syndrome (APS).

Basically, you are in the category of persons who have ANA-negative lupus. This is a condition in which a person’s ANA – or antinuclear anitbody – test comes back negative, but the person exhibits traits consistent with someone diagnosed with lupus. The ANA test is used to screen for lupus, it is not used to diagnose Lupus or to dismiss Lupus.

Keep learning as much as you can about the disease and how it affects you. I wish you the very best!

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!