Thread: Exercising

Thanks

Question Exercising

Ok.. so despite the fact that I haven't been feeling anywhere near 100% lately (though I can't remember the last time that I did at all, really!).... I ventured a go at doing some (what I thought was) light exercise yesterday.

I have an eliptical machine and I used it quite frequently years ago before I started having symptoms... I never got rid of it because I tend to like working out at home better recently rather than at a gym.

So, yesterday... I did 10 minutes... that's right TEN minutes... not a lot by any means, or so I thought. I felt pretty decent afterwards, a bit winded and I'd gotten my heartrate up, so I thought that was good progress for the first day of exercise in about six months. Felt ok last night also. Woke up this morning and my legs were a bit sore when going down the stairs, but it was that "good" sore you feel from working out. As the day went on today, it progressively got worse. I went grocery shopping after work and it was painful and nearly impossible to go up and down the TWO steps from my back door landing to the kitchen! While preparing dinner.... I had to sit down at the table to prep food, it was too painful to stand at the counter. Now, I'm all about functioning within my means and listening to my body (hence the sitting down), but this scares me a bit. I know the body needs time to rest and rebuild after exercise, but my "rest period" seems far too long. Prior to my marriage in 2008, I hired a personal trainer at the local YMCA and we noticed that I had extremely long recovery periods and I wasn't gaining energy from the exercise. When I was younger, after a week or two into a new routine, I'd start feeling so much better because I was more active.... this time I noticed I just felt worse and worse each time! And I know from those past experiences that this soreness is going to last at least another two days - possibly more! It's certainly something I'm going to bring up to the rheumy at my appointment in a couple weeks, but I wanted to get others' opinions and see if you guys had similar experiences. My whole body seems extra fatigued today, like, just sitting here typing is too much, by back and shoulders and neck start to ache from the position, I have to stop every couple minutes and move / stretch.

Just frustrated with my body and scared that perhaps there's something more than just the lupus at work here... any thoughts?

Edited: Also, anything that requires my to utilize / contract my quads (thigh muscles) is excrutiating. The movement of sitting down, getting up from a sitting position, etc... =( This really sucks.
    Last edited by Serenity81; 02-23-2010 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Add a thought
    Shannon
    Divorced
    Registered Nurse
    Proud Momma to an 8 month old kitten. She was on death's door when I found her and now she growing up into a beautiful cat, she's my baby.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change...
    The courage to change the things I can...
    And the wisdom to know the difference.

Thanks

Shannon,
    I've had the same experience lately. I've always been the non-athletic type - I got Cs in PE and As in everything else - always the last kid to be picked for any team activity. I did join a gym and greatly benefited from the water aerobics class 8 years ago.
    A couple of weeks ago, I decided to try doing a simple yoga routine each day in my own living room. I actually did it for 5 days straight, much to the amusement of the two cats. By that weekend, I felt the same way that you just described - so sore and fatigued that I concluded that the exercise just wasn't worth it. I can live with the 15 extra pounds.
    Fast forward to my PT appointment yesterday. The therapist showed me some very simple back strengthening exercises and had me to do them on the table. Yesterday evening, I was talking to my daughter on the phone, and I couldn't sit still in the chair - my back was hurting so bad. It continued to hurt most of the night.
    I also have the same problems with my thigh muscles. Sometimes they cramp up or just give out, too. I'm a really funny sight getting up off of the couch. My doc keeps thinking that I might have degenerative disc problems causing this, so I had an MRI last week. I had knee surgery for Avascular Necrosis last year, and the PT thinks that the AVN might still be there, so it might be causing my muscle problems.
    Another interesting thing that I've been reading is that lots of people with Sjogren's have muscle weakness and neuropathy (I have numbness from knees to toes). So there are three different theories for me.
    I'll let you know what I ever find out about it.
    At least we both know that we're not the only one!
    Hugs,
    Marla

Thanks

Yes, it is nice to know that I'm not alone here.. LOL! It sucks to know that anyone else feels this crappy, too, but it is good to know I'm not just going crazy. I'll see what the rheumy thinks about it, too and if he comes up with anything I'll be sure to let you know.
    Shannon
    Divorced
    Registered Nurse
    Proud Momma to an 8 month old kitten. She was on death's door when I found her and now she growing up into a beautiful cat, she's my baby.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change...
    The courage to change the things I can...
    And the wisdom to know the difference.