Thread: Hands,face and neck - swelling, rashes

Thanks

Default Hands,face and neck - swelling, rashes

Hi, just a question. I had an eye test yesterday, before starting on hydrochkloryquine. Had felt ok before I went, usual aches and pains etc. Had a bit of a headache, but nothing much. When I went in to the room my hands began to get very red, palms and backs, and to swell up, so much that my rings were tight. It wasnt so much painful as uncomfortabfle. After the test I stood up and my face and neck were the same, blotchy, red, purple rash. The optician asked if I was ok, and I was, just a bit dizzy, but otherwise ok. Wha I was wondering is could this be due to the flourescent lights in the room? Could it be a flare set off my them? I have RA, and rheumy looking into overlap of lupus/mctd so not really sure what to think. Any ideas or suggestions please.
    mabeljane

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Absolutely! We are told that we must avoid UV rays and fluorescent lighting as they can cause a flare-up, such as the one that you suffered. If we are going to be in fluorescent lighting, it is suggested that we wear sunscreen with a minimum SPF of 35.
    Has the symptoms subsided? If so, then you are probably right that this was due to the fluorescent lighting.

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

Hi, Saysusie, yes it began to subside after around half an hour, still felt very hot, but rash and swelling did go down completely after around 2 hours, just left a little redness and dryness on face and neck. Swelling went quite fast, about half an hour. Will make sure to use sunscreen next time, didnt even think about it. Especially not having any diagnosis too, you just feel that its something else to remember to tell clinic. Should have asked optician to get photos on my phone to show them!!
    mabeljane

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hopefully it won't happen again, but do keep a log/journal of anything that happens so that you can discuss them with your doctor.
    Make sure that you stay protected from the sun and from fluorescent lighting as much as you can!

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie

Thanks

i have a different effect from the sun lol,
    i've always went out to get tanned in the summer, my lupus flares up in the winter when it gets really cold

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Well, as we've said many times here, Lupus affects each of us differently and no two persons will have the same symptoms! I am glad that you are able to enjoy the sun as it is so very off limits for most of us and we miss it. So, we can enjoy it, vicariously, through you

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie