Thread: Does it or did it take MANY years for a diagnosis?

Thanks

Default Does it or did it take MANY years for a diagnosis?

Hello folks. Did it take many years until you were diagnosed? Are any of the members of this site still trying to find out what is wrong? Thank you for any information you can share. Sorry you have to be on this site at all, but then, perhaps we're being given a tough road for yet another lesson or ten for our lives, eh?

Suzi

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Yes, and yes. For some of us, we are lucky to be given a proper diagnosis almost immediately after symptoms show. For most, we go years and years before know what is wrong, or even linking together the string of past illneses to realize that there is indeed something wrong that we don't know what it is. For many, we are still waiting for a "final" diagnosis. Some of us have had a diagnosis given and then told that was not the proper diagnosis and have had that stripped of us to start us back at square one. Almost all of us have experienced the frustrations and trials and tribulations of learning that it is imperative we push our doctors to keep working on helping us to find answers and to treat our diseases as a whole series of symptoms and not our symptoms as a series of diseases. If you look around at the past threads in here in the Newbies section and the Symptoms and Lauries Lounge you will find a lot of testamonials about all these experiences with diagnosis.
    Personally, I have been riding this rollarcoaster for the better part of 15 years. I have been really healthy for long periods that are broken up by boughts of being really sick. I have been diagnosed with IBS, Lactose Intolerance, Diabetes 2, Reynaud's and Sarcoidosis. I've been told by multiple doctors that Lupus is a posibility but all my bloodwork comes back "normal". This site has given me a peace of mind knowing that I am not alone in this experience or this journey and I am not crazy. Welcome to WHL!
    As long as this body works, I am going to enjoy life to the fullest for each second of every moment that I can.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

hi suzi,

Sandy thoroughly and accurately described the path that many of us take during the diagnostic process. Auto Immune diseases are apparently very difficult to pen down and diagnose, so many of us struggle for years searching for "what is wrong". Also, so many times, we encounter drs. who either just don't get it, or just don't care (the jury is still out on this one). Any way, this further complicates our journey.

I can tell you that membership in this forum has helped me work with my drs. I learn so much informtion here, and get so much guidance, and i am not able to help my drs. help me.

welcome to our family, and please don't hesitate to ask any questions, or to jump in on any thread....
    Phyllis

share a smile today