Thread: Super-Fantastic News

Thanks

Talking Super-Fantastic News

Hey friends!
    My daughter Heather just called. She just received a grant which gives her an all-expenses paid trip to a Neurobiology conference next summer in Santorini, Greece. AND, she's taking her old Latin teacher Mom along as her companion!!!!
    I'm sooo excited. Now, I'm going to have to start refreshing my Greek!!!
    I can't wait 'til June!!!
    Love,
    Marla

Blog Entries
    Thanks

marla....that is incredible news....aha...another reason to know Latin. How long will the conference last? I hope you will have extra time to visit wherever you want.
    Phyllis

share a smile today

Thanks

That's wonderful, Marla - and you must be so proud of your accomplished daughter - How long will you be able to stay??
    much love to all my lupie friends -

Thanks

Wow!! what an opportunity!! you must be so proud of your daughter. I hope you get to enjoy the sites too!!
    mabeljane

Blog Entries
    Thanks

wow congrats marla great news!!!!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

that is super-fantastic! I am happy for you. I can't wait to see those pictures. What parts are you going to???
    As long as this body works, I am going to enjoy life to the fullest for each second of every moment that I can.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

WOW!! That is, indeed, fantastic news!! Make sure to take lots of pictures, post them and give us details about your trip!
    I'm excited for you too!!

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

Thanks to all,
    I don't know too many details yet. I know that the conference is June 17-19, but Heather talked about staying for at least a week. I know that we will be flying into Athens (be still, my heart - I'll see the Parthenon - WOO HOO) and then we'll probably go by ferry boat to the island of Santorini. It is a huge cauldron-shaped volcanic island. The best theory of where Plato was talking about when he talked about Atlantis is this island. A big hole was blown into the island by an eruption that happened thousands of years before the time of Plato and it was probably the catastrophe that destroyed the Minoan culture on the nearby island of Crete. Even the Egyptians told stories about it. There is an active archaeological dig on the island, and the conference is offering guided tours of it - I'm there! This is the stuff that I so LOVED sharing with my students!
    I'll be flying back to the states alone. Heather's SO, the Political Science Professor, will be guest lecturing in Berlin, so she's going to go join him there after her conference. I'll arm myself with good books.
    I'm also planning to buy a lightweight wheelchair for traveling, so that should make getting around a bit easier.
    I'm so excited!
    Marla

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

The islands of Santorini, in my opinion, are one of the most beautiful places in the world, and are in my top 5 places I need to visit. The sheer cliffs of the giant monolith main island Thira, are just amazing to look at in pictures, I can only imagine what it would be like to actually be there, and see them myself. The city of Fira/Thira, as I'm sure you have already seen in pictures, lies perched nearly one thousand feet above the Aegean, like a carpet of white and blue. The volcanic soil there makes for some of the finest produce in the world. There is so much history, and the archaeological activities in progress there are absolutely facinating. The anticipation you feel must be like a kid on Christmas Eve. This will be an amazing trip for you and your daughter.

Rob
    Last edited by rob; 02-16-2010 at 11:38 PM.