Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Lupus and Mould???

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Manchester UK :D
    Posts
    87
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Unhappy Lupus and Mould???

    Now this is a bit gross so if your queasy you might not want to read.

    Basically the flat I have atm is a typical student flat. E.g. a bit rubbish. Its 7th floor but has single glazing n the windows are rotting away a bit so we get a draught through really badly which obviously makes me cold. So my boyfriend blocked the draught with a duvet. Anyway, in the room there was a smell and i couldn't pinpoint it. So today I did a big clean of the room and eventually reached the window.

    Then i realised that neither me or my boyfriend had checked the duvet we had put in the window a few weeks previously. It had got damp due to condensation and the window leaking a bit, and in turn had grown mould on it, and quite a lot of it.

    Now i used to work as a cleaner at a chip shop, so not a lot of dirt phases me, but this was disgusting, so I had to clean it. I covered my arms and picked the duvet off the sill and put it into a double bin bag, tied it up threw it away. However the sill under was dirty so cleaned that too.

    Then I came online and googled mould and learnt your not really meant to clean it especially if you have a poor immune system (like myself of course). I'm just slightly worried about if I'm going to be ill, and also whether my recent flare up, which has been quite bad, is due to this mould situation and by spreading the spores i've made myself worse :S

    I wouldn't normally come straight on here to rant but my boyfriends away for the weekend so can't ask him first!

    I've decided not to sleep in the room to minimise how much im near the spores, and in retrospect I should've worn a mask.I've not had any ashtma like symptons or anything which i gather can be an issue mould causes, so i think i should be fine. But yea, as you can probably tell i'm just panicing a bit :S

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    838
    Blog Entries
    5
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 24 Times in 22 Posts

    Default

    I've encountered mold problem like that before. It can be scary. I wouldn't want to be around it either. How are you today?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Manchester UK :D
    Posts
    87
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Just an update, i seem to have survived the mould infestation Managed to get rid of it all with bleach

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    305
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 17 Times in 15 Posts

    Default

    There are many types of mold..if it is black it doesn't mean it is necessarily toxic....people who bought my last house had mold tested in my basement..ugly..but not toxic.
    Andrea

  5. #5
    Saysusie's Avatar
    Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Victorville, California
    Posts
    7,713
    Blog Entries
    9
    Thanks
    1,575
    Thanked 919 Times in 582 Posts

    Default

    The bleach was an excellent idea. My fear of mold has caused me to even add a bit of bleach to my bath water. I have two cats and, with Lupus, we are not supposed to get near their litter. Well, I have to clean their litter, so I do wear a mask and rubber gloves and I wash myself down with bleach water after wards.

    Be sure, however, to wear a mask when you are cleaning with bleach. It's chemicals can also cause us a bit of problem!! I'm glad that you did not get sick!!

    Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •