Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vitamin D Deficiency

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default Vitamin D Deficiency

Got note from my PCP. My vit D is low. How can that be. I take calcium with 400IU of D and a Multi vit for women with 1000IU of D. He wants me to add another 1000IU. I had this before and added extra vit D for a while. But stopped it when it got OK. I go back and check this in a month. I was wondering if this may be why I'm flaring and these sores won't heal?
    Last edited by wrightrs; 02-01-2010 at 01:47 PM.
    But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint. Isaiah 40:31

Take Care,
    Becky

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default Vitamin d

I know that 2 times already that i was given a prescription for extra vit. d from my rheumatologist because mine was low to. Bonita

Thanks

I was surprised when the doc told me the same thing, since I took Vitamin D daily,too. I'm currently taking a 50,000 IU pill once per week. I'll see my rheumy in two weeks, so I'm assuming that she will order blood work then.
    My vit. D count was fine last March (when I started Plaquenil) and had plummeted by August. I'm wondering if it was the Plaq that caused it.
    Marla

Blog Entries
    Thanks

i too have a vit d deficiency. My dr. has me taking 1 over the counter tablet each day along with my calcium with vit. d...
    Phyllis

share a smile today

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I'm supposed to be taking the SUPER DUPER doses of that, but it made my ibs symptoms so much worse. I don't know if it could cause a flare or keep those sores from healing, but I think it can make pain feel more painful. I can't remember which one it was, but one of the rheumys I saw told me that. However, it was a rheumy I fired. Not sure how true that is.

I'm sorry you're still struggling, Rebecca. Why it happens could be for a lot of reasons. I've read that when lupus attacks the small intestine that it can cause it not to absorb nutrients like it should. Could be due to the sun sensitivity...we're not getting it from sunlight. There are a lot of things that can cause the deficiency.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Thanks everybody very helpful Leslie. Sounds like vit D deficiency very commom in lupus then. I have had low iron at times also. But It must be OK now. I need to read about this.
    But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint. Isaiah 40:31

Take Care,
    Becky

Blog Entries
    Thanks

What symptoms would I look for if I was low in Vitamin D? I have yet to be diagnosed with lupus, but I have been "borderline" for over 25 years. I was taking a calcium supplement with D but quit taking it a year ago just because I am sick of pills morning, noon & night. I decided I really need to begin to take it again since I am in menopause now........but I wonder if there are any noticeable symptoms from being deficient in D. I don't get out of the house most days so there is no sunlight benefit.
    Live, laugh, love. We only have one shot at this. ~Author Unknown

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I think that one of the symptoms is cracking joints and bones. Every time I stand up its like someone crunching on a polomint... knees, ankles, neck, everything cracks all the time. I was told I was seriously low on Vit D so have been taking a suppliment prescribed by my Rheumy too. My levels have gone up although they're still at the bottom end of the scale. The cracking sounds have diminished a little but I still have a lot of trouble with my neck.
    Numpty:- (num-p-tee) dialect, chiefly Scot, ~n. 1. a bumbling fool: one who is intellectually challenged. 2. widely known in Scotland as an MSP (Member of Scottish Parliament).

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Numpty ~ I have a knee that makes alot of noise when I climb stairs. Just yesterday it really was loud and a little painful too. I need to take my Calcium with D again, I guess. Just one more pill.......*sigh*..........god I get so sick of pills.
    Live, laugh, love. We only have one shot at this. ~Author Unknown

Thanks

Oh my gosh, Numpty!! I remember telling my rheumy in November that my joints popped and crapped like that all the time!! He never outright mentioned that the Vit D deficiency could be the reason... but he did start me on a supplement because my levels were super low also. I suppose now that you mention it has let up a bit since I started the supplement... like like you I still have issues with my neck and R ankle & L knee. It's nice to have some of these things validated by others who are also going through it.

I keep hearing more and more that this is quite common with lupus.
    Shannon
    Divorced
    Registered Nurse
    Proud Momma to an 8 month old kitten. She was on death's door when I found her and now she growing up into a beautiful cat, she's my baby.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change...
    The courage to change the things I can...
    And the wisdom to know the difference.