Thread: Weght Gain

Thanks

Default Weght Gain

Any one have any suggestions on how to lose weight while on 10mg of prednisone.

Thanks

As a nurse, I hate to tell you this, but any amount of Pred will most likely cause weight gain and possibly a round face. It's a matter of weighing up the pro's and con's.

Best of luck,

Claire x

Thanks

do u mean that no matter how little you eat you cannot lose weight while on prednisone? i'm on 5mg..and i'm finding it extremely difficult to lose weight

Thanks

Yeah does that mean no matter what amount of predisoine you are on, there is no way to lose that weight? I am on 7mg.
    You too shall overcome this!

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Weight gain is usually the most dreaded side–effects of prednisone use, incurred to some degree by nearly all patients who take them. The amount of weight gain varies from individual to individual. In addition to causing weight gain, prednisone leads to a redistribution of body fat to places that are undesirable, particularly the face, back of the neck, and abdomen.
    Some of the effects of prednisone use are: weight gain, increased appetite, loss of muscle mass and bone density, increased fatty deposits, reduction in zinc, Vitamin D, and C levels; loss of potassium, fluid retention, gastric problems, hypertension, high cholesterol, and hampering the body’s ability to handle blood sugars. Not everyone will experience the same side effects or all of the side effects. There are some things (nutritionally and physically) that you can do that might help with the weight gain.
    Sometimes if you are also taking an immunosuppressive, your appetite might be decreased. Your metabolism is how you burn fat. As you age, your metabolism tends to slow down. Prednisone can have a negative effect on metabolism. Your cravings seem to be heightened - so drinking water, eating fruits and vegetables can help. Sometimes fruit or vegetable smoothies will fill you up and thereby lessen the craving for food. Protein in the morning (eggs and cheese - flavored soy cheese is good) might help with cravings during the day. Keep some almonds and nuts around to snack on.
    Exercise is very, very important for keeping muscle mass. While on prednisone, try to exercise within your own range. Men have a better chance of building up their muscles after the age of 50 than woman do because of testosterone, but exercise can help woman as well. Proteins (amino acids) are the building blocks of muscles. Protein repairs and builds muscle tissue. Extra corticosteroids in the body can break down amino acids. These amino acids then go and make glucose in the liver instead of building up muscle mass. Eating extra protein that are safe for us might help build muscles. Foods high in protein that we can eat are are: fish, eggs, milk, cheese, baked-beans, and sometimes soy products. Remember, though, you don’t want to raise your cholesterol so low-fat milk and cheese are recommended. Fish is not only a great source of protein, but also a great source of Omega-3 fatty acids. Try to avoid red meats though!
    Eating extra calcium and taking calcium supplements are very important for anyone taking prednisone. It is known that women and men with thin bones have a higher rate of osteoporosis. It is recommended that everyone get a bone density test when they first start taking prednisone as a baseline for bone density loss. Your doctor and/or a nutritionist can advice on the correct amounts of calcium you should get daily and how much extra someone should take. Calcium rich foods are: milk, cheese, yogurt, greens, broccoli, sardines, canned salmon with bones, dried beans and peas, calcium-fortified foods such as calcium-fortified orange juice, and tofu.
    Vitamin D helps the absorption of calcium. It is found in fortified milk and cereals. Your body can make its own Vitamin D when your skin is exposed to sunshine. Getting Vitamin D from the sun is very helpful but it is recommended to have limited sun exposure with an autoimmune disease such as Lupus. So, remember, when you go out in sun, to wear sunscreen and a hat especially if you have lesions. Weight bearing exercises (walking, jumping, dancing) are also helpful in keeping your bones healthy.
    Another result of taking prednisone for a long time is the increase in cholesterol. It is possible to lower cholesterol naturally. Eating more servings of fruits and vegetables can help provide a greater drop in the cholesterol count because these foods are a good source of soluble fiber. Soluble fiber lowers the LDL or “bad” cholesterol. The specific foods that are particularly high in soluble fiber are apples, citrus fruit, berries, carrots, apricots, prunes, cabbage, sweet potatoes and Brussels sprouts. 1/2 cup is considered a serving size is. All of the beans also provide soluble fiber (but try to avoid legumes). Foods with Omega-3 fatty acids – salmon, sardines, tuna can work wonders in raising HDL levels.
    Basically, what is best for people taking prednisone is to eat as healthy as possible to minimize the weight gain. Keeping your weight down is so important because too much weight gain can exacerbate some of the side effects, such as steroids-induced diabetes, high-blood pressure, and high cholesterol. Losing weight while there is control of the disease and the steroid doses are down, can make a significant difference.
    Add extra protein, cut out simple sugars, and add in more fruits and vegetables. There are wonderful recipes in books and online that can make the change in your eating habits more enjoyable. Seek the help of a therapist to deal with the many issues that surround this disease, depression and drug side effects.
    I wish you the best of luck
    Saysusie

Thanks

this was really helpful!!
    i have 2 questions
    1. About overeating due to increased appetite caused by prednisone..
    what is overeating exactly? is it eating when you're not hungry? or eating a lot over the course of the day?
    2. when someone consumes more calories than required, say 3500 more which is equal to 1 pound weight gain, how long does it take to show up on the scales?

i'm sorry i know i ask a lot about this topic, but i'm desperate to lose weight, and i'll start the Jorge Cruise diet tomorrow, i hope it works..

Thanks,
    Dina
    I was diagnosed with lupus nephritis, confirmed by bloodwork and kidney biopsy, and mild lupus cerebritis (epileptiform) in June 2004.
    Medications: CellCept, Prednisone; Phenytoin; Lipitor; Zestril, Norvasc; Aranesp (darbepoetin alfa).

Thanks

Thank you, as always, for all that WONDERFUL information SaySusie!! I am just curious though, why avoid legumes? And what about lean red meats? I've been put on a limited protein diet anyway, but I am curious as to why these should be avoided... Also, what about your fattier vegetables such as avocados? Are they okay, or should they be avoided as well with Lupus?

Thanks!
    "All sounds are potentially dangerous.
    All sounds are potentially medicinal.
    All sounds are beautiful." ~Yoko Ono