Thread: should i tell my roommate?

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default should i tell my roommate?

hey angels. i'm in college, and i have a roommate. we have seperate bedrooms, and we share a bathroom..not that that matters. lol. but, i was thinking the other day, if i should tell her that i have lupus?

i mean, what is something were to happen...she'd have contact numbers and everything. i should tell her, right?
    UNSPEAKABLE JOY.
    "we must be the change we wish to see in the world."-mahatma ghandi
    1 TIMOTHY 4:12-"Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity."

Blog Entries
    Thanks

hi unspeakablejoy,
    I love your username! Welcome to WHL. you could give her your emergency information with or without specifying your medical background. whichever is more comfy for you. You should also keep a list of the meds you are on and the doses and the doctors names and numbers who perscribed them on the same sheet with the emergency contact info you give her so that, God forbid, she does need to use your emergency contact list, she will also be able to answer the question about what meds you are on.
    As long as this body works, I am going to enjoy life to the fullest for each second of every moment that I can.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SandyR For This Useful Post:

Gizmo (07-02-2011), lovedbyHim (07-02-2011), Peridot20_Gem (05-28-2011), tgal (07-03-2011)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I agree with Sandy, one of the worst experiences I had was when I was rooming with my brothers girlfriend and one night I heard her calling my name, I thought I was dreaming until I heard it faintly again. When I went into the livingroom she was on the floor unresponsive. I started to freak out, she was breathing, but I couldn't get her to open her eyes, they just kept rolling back into her head. I called my brother who was out of state at the time (in retrospect I should have called 911) but he told me to get some sugar and put it on her tongue. I had no idea she was diabetic!! Seconds after the sugar she woke up and told me to get her water and put sugar in it. I stayed up watching her the rest of the night. One of the scariest moments for me. So even if you don't tell her everything so should at least know how to get the information should something happen to you. Good luck!
    Everyday holds the possibility of a Miracle

SLE, Nephritis, Raynaud's, previous ITP
    Plaquenil, baby aspirin, Flinstones vitamins

Thanks

Hi agree with Sandy,

Just let your mate know the main details for emergency, it does'nt mean that your room mate as to know every detail that's personal to you only.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Telling her definitely might be a good idea, just so she's aware of why you might have trouble with some stuff and if anything goes wrong. Plus, having someone close to talk to who understands or at least knows your situation is a definite biggie.
    That being said, you don't have to tell anyone that you don't want to. If you feel like you have everything under control then maybe just writing a letter in case of emergency would be enough. Like SandyR said, an emergency contact list with a list of the meds and amounts you're taking, and a brief blurb about your health problems. (Just a quick list or something, for a brief medical history if needed), and then put it in an envelope or in a stationary place and make sure your roommate is aware of it so they know to just look in there if something happens.

Thanks

Do you live in a dorm? If so, your RA should probably have a copy of whatever you give your roomie. The student health center also should have a list of your meds and a brief medical history, including your rheumy's (not roomie's LOL) name and phone number. Here in Colorado there has been a big push for everyone to enter an emergency contact number on their cell phone, and list it as ICE (In Case of Emergency). Then paramedics can call your family in the ambulance, even if you are unconscious, just by looking up ICE.

Thanks

Great answers everyone. I guess my thoughts are, if you have a close enough relationship to feel free to tell her, then being genuine can only deepen it. If you feel you are not ready just inform her of important people to call in the event you were to get sick. Ask her if she has anyone she would want you to call if she was sick or in an accident (grin). Just my 2 cents here.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lovedbyHim For This Useful Post:

Gizmo (07-03-2011), Peridot20_Gem (07-03-2011)

Thanks

I've poured my heart out in the past to a friend i thought was genuine and i'm going back a good 12yrs, until i had a phone call off someone telling me what i'd told her...oh i did go mad and since that day it taught me a good lesson in life, some people can look so trustworthy yet the knife can be twisted easily. xxx

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

Good afternoon,

While I agree with everyone about making sure that your roommate has all of your important numbers and such I am at the place where I would vote for telling her. People with cancer don't hide the fact that they have cancer. People with diabetes don't hide the fact that they have diabetes. People understand that those are illnesses and therefor there is no need to keep them hidden.

I spent some time hiding my illness but I no longer do. I believe that it is time to step out of the shadows of Lupus and bring this disease into the forefront. For me, hiding the disease means that there is some shame to it. There is no shame. I am not lazy, crazy or any of the other things people think about me. I am ill and I will not hide anymore.

Please understand that I am NOT telling you what to do. You have to make whatever decision is best for you and we don't always have to agree. My words are simply for my life and how I feel about Lupus now

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

Elo (07-03-2011), steve.b (07-03-2011)