Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vent

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Angry Vent

My doctor went from sure it's lupus lets run the bloodtest running thee ANA...Ive been waiting more then a week...turns out she didn't even run it ran other crap. and based on that sends a letter that says i think its depression...wow i wasnt aware depression caused light sensitivity, SEVERE joint pain, chills, a big rash across my face, fatigue to the point i can't get out of bed, and chest pains. I'm so mad I could put my fist through something!
    STILL The Invincible Rick Haggar!

Thanks

Find another doctor quick. Run, Forest Run!! Really!!!! When a doctor is saying that; it's time to cut your losses and find someone else. There are many on this board whom have heard that over and over. It's appalling.

Unfortunately, there are not a lot of awards for rheumys nor do they make lots of money. Many rheumy doctors are trying to educate; but . . . . . there are still many whom are not really educated. In fact, I drive two hours to Los Angeles for a rheumy appmt and there are people flying in from Florida, MIssouri, New York, etc. It's really sad. Don't give up. The ANA, C-Reactive protein, C3, and C4 levels will tell the story hopefully.

If he thinks it's depression; tell him no it's not and how would depression cause all the issues you are suffering? Get copies of all your labs for "your files." Check out webmd and type in Lupus tests and it wiill give you a list as well as here. Personally, I would find another doctor and quick. Don't waste your time and money; your life is much more important. Frustration only weighs you down even more and add stress. You definately don't need it in your life as there is enough already.

Keep us updated and hang in there. I am sure there will be more members to follow that will validate what your doctor told you. I hope you find another rheumy whom is knowledgable and listens. Compassion goes a long way.

Take care,

Faith

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Hello Rick,

Well, you have brought up one of my major issues that really pisses me off when I hear about it happening. Since when is a General Practitioner qualified to diagnose mental health problems like depression? The answer is of course, they are not. That is the job of a Psychiatrist, not a G.P. And even if a G.P. was qualified, how in the hell do they diagnose a person with depression in the extremely short period of time that they spend with their patients (the average visit is only 7 minutes).

For a G.P. to fall back on the old "oh, you are just depressed" excuse is a cop out and a huge red flag that tells me the G.P. is basically clueless. It seems like anytime a Dr. finds themself with the challenge of a patient who's condition is difficult to diagnose, many of them just give up and call it depression. It's pathetic. You should fire this idiot and find a new doctor. You are angry, and I am angry too. I see this happen far too often. Find a new doc, and a good rheumo, and be persistent. Don't let anyone tell you it's all in your head.

Rob
    Last edited by rob; 02-10-2010 at 03:18 AM.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Welcome to my world And as Faith said RUN FOREST RUN!!!!

Like you,Christmas 2009 my rheumi told me i had Lupus no matter what the bloods come back as.I told everyone and joined WHL. Oh i was so humiliated and upset,angry,confused when he backtracked and said ''oh it must be M.E Chronic fatigue syndrome''. In the beginning the first doc told me i'd had a nervous breakdown So believe me, i know how you are feeling right now.
    Keep fighting,dont take NO for an answer, get running away from that Doctor now and search for another one.Im on Doctor number 3 and Rheumi number 2 and still getting nowhere fast. Had a hickup lately and nearly gave in.....but slowly the fight is coming back. Next step for me is to ''RUN FOREST RUN'' and find a Doctor who actually listens,understands and does'nt mention the word DEPRESSION!!!!!!
    Goodluck and im s glad you found us.Keep posting,we are right beside you. As the Trekkie's say ''live long n prosper''. I think they say that lol.x

love
    Amanda.xxxx
    Last edited by Angel Oliver; 02-10-2010 at 06:37 AM.
    I am still here,just been on new meds so unable to function like i used to.I will pop back,just know im thinking of you all and hoping you are keeping on keeping on.xxxxxxx

Thanks

Hi Rick,

Many on the board hear "your depressed" because the Dr. doesn't know what to do because it's out of his expertise or doesn't want to consult with another doctor. Doctors have the "I know all things." Sometimes I think they need to be honest, human and be humble enough to admit "I don't know what it is, but I will make some phone calls." You need to be your own advocate and fight.

I was having a brain fog and wrote " I am sure there will be more members to follow that will validate what your doctor told you." Ooops . . . . . I am very sorry and the brain doesn't always type out what I mean. What I meant was many members will state they have heard the same as you or similar because the doctor doesn't know what he is doing.

I feel for you and Amanda both. Keep up the fight!!!! I would check out the website rhuematology.org as it lists rheumys by state. I am sorry Amanda as I think it's limited to the United States only.

Please don't give up either Amanda!!!!!! Once you find a good rheumy, you will be with him/her until he/she retires. What area are you located in Amanda?

Keep us posted and take care,

Faith

Thanks

Rick,
    I'm just plain angry at that doc for copping out on you like that. I agree with everyone else here. Run, do not walk to a decent rheumy. (Try to control your Klingon temper if you ever have to see that doc again!)
    You hang in there, too, Amanda.
    We understand our own bodies, and we know when we're in pain. How can those docs who have never felt this kind of pain have the pure gall to tell us that our very real pain is "all in our heads"?
    Marla

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Faith,

Thanks for caring.Im supposed to have the best in Manchester, Rheumi....the one who says one thing then does another Hope you are keeping ok.

love
    Amanda.xx
    I am still here,just been on new meds so unable to function like i used to.I will pop back,just know im thinking of you all and hoping you are keeping on keeping on.xxxxxxx

Thanks

Hi Amanda,

You are scaring me. There is supposed to be a well-known Lupus Centre in London. Have you heard of it? I am not sure if you have to get a referral but it may be worth checking into?? It was opened by a now retired rheumy. I hope you are feeling well today.

God Bless,

Faith

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Haggar,

I agree. Run!!!! But get a copy of all your medical records & labs from your doctor first. Take pictures of your symptoms too so you can bring them with you if you aren't showing symptoms when you see your new doc too. And hang in there. You know your body much better than any doctor so trust in yourself.

Sandy
    As long as this body works, I am going to enjoy life to the fullest for each second of every moment that I can.

Thanks

I want to grab all these "doctors" and scream DUDE(S) - WERE DEPRESSED BECAUSE OF THE LACK OF ABILITY AMOUNG ALL OF YOU TO DO YOUR JOB! Im sick sick sick, dont know why - feel lost - and cant get treatment!!
    Ok....in a calmer voice let me say that this happened to me - for a few years...I had a doctor say "I dont care what the tests say...you have lupus" and prescribe me prednisone and Imuran (toxic and life changing medications)...only to tell me the next month "I think were heading in the wrong direction..." Like you Amanda, had told my family that FINALLY they knew what was wrong, etc etc...humiliating. I gave up for a while....and got back the courage to try again. I have an official diagnosis today, have good, compassionate doctors who want me to get better, and am being treated. There is a doctor out there who will listen....but its NOT him. Im so sorry youre going thru this, and you have every right to be angry....please hang in there - all of you.
    Praying for the land of limbo to end for all of you...
    Lauri
    For God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of power, love and a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7