Thread: Just wondering what you guys think?

Thanks

Question Just wondering what you guys think?

I've not posted much on here lately cause being balancing Uni and being ill lots!!!

Basically I keep missing a lot of Uni because of my legs hurting, and when they hurt I can't walk properly. I've considered walking aids, but don't know if you have to be 'prescribed' them as such by a doctor, or whether I need them, or whether I have the confidence to be a 20 year old with a walking stick :S

Do any of you have walking aids? What sort of things do you use? I'm not sure whether a stick would help as i get pains in my wrist, but I need something because it's affecting my studies!!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Oh so nice to see you back,but sorry to hear you have been struggling. You know, in the past when my left leg feels like its dragging behind me lol, i too have thought about a stick,but like you thought about age.But why not ask your doctor or nurse for advice about this.Or look online as i have seen 'younger' people with the most beautiful sticks.In reality you need help.Who cares what people think!! As long as you are getting help to walk, there are sticks with handles adjusted,like on a slant to help with your grip.Ive seen allot of younger people with them as well as older people.I really would speak to your gp.Do you get the lower dla? By the sounds of it you should be claiming it which would help you to get a stick from them,but saying that it'll be the basic silver one.Im not sure how much the wooden ones are,but ask the doctor as he may be able to give you a website or point you in the right direction.

Love
    Amanda.xxxx
    I am still here,just been on new meds so unable to function like i used to.I will pop back,just know im thinking of you all and hoping you are keeping on keeping on.xxxxxxx

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I am still here,just been on new meds so unable to function like i used to.I will pop back,just know im thinking of you all and hoping you are keeping on keeping on.xxxxxxx

Thanks

Thanks angel! Those floral ones are pretty ace lol. I'm seeing my GP in april and will have a word with him. My mums a social worker so waiting till I go home to get DLA sorted as she's gonna help me fill in my application, she reckons I'll get the lower one.

Thanks

Hi SuperGiv,
    Here in the US, every corner pharmacy sells canes - you don't need a prescription at all. I have several. My favorite is one that easily folds and is great for traveling.
    Don't worry about how you look with one - it actually will make you look quite cool! Besides, getting around safely is what is important here.
    Marla

Blog Entries
    Thanks

you'll probably find that people are more willing to give you more space when walking in crowds too!
    As long as this body works, I am going to enjoy life to the fullest for each second of every moment that I can.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Yes they are so trendy and like Marla said you'll look cool.I liked the pink sparkley one....i was happy to see the one with a seat on Id be sat on it all the time lol. Oh yes you deffinately qualify for the lower,but if you are havig difficulty walking,maybe the middle rate, see what your Mum thinks. Thing is you could get it and just use it when you feel you need to use it.You will get used to it and imagine the help it will give you.Hope you are having a good day today.

love n hugs
    Amanda.xxxx

Blog Entries
    Thanks

i have a couple of walking canes, and i always keep one in my car. I love amanda's web site, i will have to do a little shopping. I even use mine to help close the door when it hurts too much to lean out and close it myself.

I also have problems with my hands, and have to be sure to get one with a tilted handle....i can't put my wrists in a 90 degree angle.

Don't worry about what people think....like others said, people will probably give you a little more room and maybe even hold open doors for you.
    Phyllis

share a smile today

Thanks

Yes, my cane came in very handy when I had to battle my way through school hallways filled with teens. I'd just threaten to take a swing at 'em, and they'd scatter!