Thread: Hi, I'm new

Thanks

Smile Hi, I'm new

Hi everyone,

I'm Harriet, I'm 22 and I was diagnosed with SLE in 2005. I won't go into detail but it wasn't pretty. Anyway, I thought I would join this group to get to know people who have experience of living with lupus. I was also wondering if anyone would be willing to help me out with a university project that I have been given. I am currently studying Social Anthropology at Roehampton University in London and we have to do an ethnography (an in depth description of people and their experiences) on a subject of our choice. I thought I'd choose to look at how lupus affects people lives and how people get strength and support from online communities such as this one. If anyone feels that they would like more information or to help me out I would love to hear from anyone.

Thank you so much,

Harriet

Thanks

Hi Harriet,
    Welcome to WHL. You've come to the right place for a community of people who really understand what you're going through.
    As for your project, I'm willing to help. I'm a recently retired teacher, and I'm a bit bored most days.
    Check out Ashleybaby's posts. She did a similar project for high school. (Impressive, huh?)
    Good luck with your studies,
    Marla

3. The Following User Says Thank You to magistramarla For This Useful Post:

AlphaWolf06 (02-07-2010)

Thanks

Welcome Harriett
    You have found a wonderful place to both learn more about your disease and to find compassionate and caring people. I would like to help you out, but I must say that my ability to commit to ANYTHING is tenuous at best due to the unperedictability of each day, as Im sure youre familiar with. I hope you get the help you need here, tho, and in the meantime, enjoy the site
    Lauri
    For God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of power, love and a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7

5. The Following User Says Thank You to laurid8967 For This Useful Post:

AlphaWolf06 (02-07-2010)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Harriett and welcome. This site is the best support I've found. People here are so caring and comforting.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to abbasgirl For This Useful Post:

AlphaWolf06 (02-07-2010)

Thanks

Hi Marla,

Thank you, that's very kind of you. What subject and age range did you teach? I'm going to speak to my tutor and find out exactly how I need to go about this project because I want to make sure I'm going along the right lines with it. I'll also take a look at Ashleybaby's posts like you so kindly suggested.

Thank you again,

Harriet

Thanks

Hi Lauri,

Thank you. Everyone on here seems to be so kind. I'm glad I've found somewhere where people can share their feelings and coping strategies. It's very reassuring to know you're not the only one who is going through this.

Thank you again,

Harriet

Blog Entries
    Thanks

hi harriett,

welcome to our family....as you can already tell by the responses, this is a group of people willing to do anything they can to help each other...We truly are a close-knit group, and we welcome you to our circle.

we have several other members who live in England, and a few have even met through the forum...I know they will be around very soon to welcome you.

I too will gladly help you with your school project. To get a idea of the stories that you will hear, there are a few threads probably under "Lauri's Lounge" that are devoted to discussing the changes that we have each had to take... I will search around the forum a bit, and return with specific titles. You will probably find some ideas for questions within these discussions. Even though lupus is a very individual disease, there are some common threads among each of us.

Best of luck to you, i am glad you decided to join our group, i look forward to working with you on your project.
    Phyllis

share a smile today

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mountaindreamer For This Useful Post:

AlphaWolf06 (02-07-2010)

Thanks

Hi Harriet,
    To answer your question - I taught Latin I - Latin IV AP in a huge (3000+ students) high school in Texas. I taught kids from 9th grade to 12th grade. Only two years of foreign language was required, but some of them stayed with me for four years, so I got pretty attached to them.
    I miss teaching!
    Magistra (Latin for teacher) Marla