Thread: Update: Birth Control

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default Update: Birth Control

One of my first MTX posts was inquiring on non hormonal, reliable birth control options.

I've since visited an OBGYN who gave me some IUD options. I chose the Mirena IUD
    Not only is it more reliable than having your tubes tied, but there is no oestrogen in it - it is progesterone only and localized.

Better news is that after a couple of months of spotting, I won't have a period anymore until I have it taken out

HOW CAN IT GET BETTER THAN THAT??? Especially since my periods seem to aggravate my flares

I wanted to post this for other women needing reliable BC options that are taking chemo drugs and have been pregnant at least once.
    32 YO Wife, Mother and Advocate
    Lupus - Subclavian Bypass May of 2009. Ectopic Lentis, Scoliosis(not lupus related)
    Current medications: Aspirin, Plaquenil, multi vitamins, folic acid, Methotrexate, Tramadol PRN

You can find me on facebook at www.facebook.com/sororenotis
    Please tell me you are from here and who you are if you add me there.

I work full time and Leader for International Autoimmune Arthritis Movement
    http://www.iaamovement.org/

Thanks

I like the sound of this option. I thought an IUD was out of the question since my diagnosis but i will look into this now. May i ask what your Rheumy thought of this option? I was actually considering getting my tubes tied but i would prefer not to so this was great info for me! Thanks

Blog Entries
    Thanks

My Rheumatologist orignally recommended an IUD. The BC options that cause issues for AI patients are usually ones that secrete oestrogen. The mirena IUD is a progesterone only IUD and most of the prog is delivered locally. There is a minute amount delivered systemically but my rheumatologist was very supportive as was my cardiologist.
    32 YO Wife, Mother and Advocate
    Lupus - Subclavian Bypass May of 2009. Ectopic Lentis, Scoliosis(not lupus related)
    Current medications: Aspirin, Plaquenil, multi vitamins, folic acid, Methotrexate, Tramadol PRN

You can find me on facebook at www.facebook.com/sororenotis
    Please tell me you are from here and who you are if you add me there.

I work full time and Leader for International Autoimmune Arthritis Movement
    http://www.iaamovement.org/

Thanks

Sounds like a great option. Thanks for the feedback.