Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All over body rash anyone?

Thanks

Default All over body rash anyone?

Is it just me or do any other SLE patients have an itchy red rash all over their bodies? I have heard a lot about the rash on the face, but not all over the body..

Thanks

Thanks for the reply! Acturally, I have been battling with this rash since October of last year. My doctor tried different allergy medicines to clear it up becasue he thought I might be having an allergic reaction, but none of them helped. He finally put me on Prednisone and it cleared it right up. But he didnt want me to stay on it and took me off. As soon as he did the rash came back and I started having swelling in my hands and ankles. I had blood in my urine and very sharp chest pains. That's when he ran extensive blood test and diagnosed me with SLE. And you are right about reading too much about LUPUS. I have come across sites that are not very encouraging. Knowledge is great but I guess the old rule of "Too much of a good thing can be bad" definately can apply to this. Thank you so much for the good advice, it is very appreciated. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by stjames13:
    It sounds like your having a nervous reaction to the news you were given by that uneducated doctor. Usually SLE rashes are know as the butterfly rash and are mostly on the face. Discoid Lups may move from one part of your body to another but usually are confined to the hands,feet and arms. I knwo your world feel as if it has been turned upsides and nothing is going your way but your only complicating the probelm with stress. I can see by the time that you posted this, rather than being up worrying you should be resting. Just TRY to be calm until you see a real doctor and are sure then he will put you on a treatment plan and hopefully you will do well, trust me I just am getting out of a major break out....STRESS is the major contributor to most of the symptoms of Lupus. Try to relax, take a bath, close your eyes and think of better thoughts until someone qualified tells you differently.

stjames
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks

It sounds like your having a nervous reaction to the news you were given by that uneducated doctor. Usually SLE rashes are known as the butterfly rash and are mostly on the face. Discoid Lups may move from one part of your body to another but usually are confined to the hands,feet and arms. I know your world feels as if it has been turned upsides down and nothing is going your way but your only complicating the probelm with stress. I can see by the time that you posted this, rather than being up worrying you should be resting. Just TRY to be calm until you see a real doctor and are sure then he will put you on a treatment plan and hopefully you will do well, trust me I just am getting out of a major break out....STRESS is the major contributor to most of the symptoms of Lupus. Try to relax, take a bath, close your eyes and think of better thoughts until someone qualified tells you differently.

stjames

[This message has been edited by stjames13 (edited 01-21-2003).]

Thanks

Now ya got it Alison!!!! The reason the doc took you off the prednisone is it is not a good drug. Though it does it's job it can be very damaging to your liver and kidenys and eyes and well. Is there a possibilty that this rash may be "shingles" ?!?!?! Well soon enough you'll know all these answers when you see that rheumotologist. Then you'll be able to start on the road to remission and recovery. The internet is loaded with all sorts of bad things about LUPUS and they are right BUT there are people like me who fight on and live a fair lifestyle considering. Don't look at to much until you're 1000% POSOTIVE and even then to much info will cause you to start questioning your doctor and yourself and your treatment. Having an open relationship with your doc is most important so he can treat the worst of the symptoms and ensure you get the right drugs and treatment plan to suit your needs.
    Peace is the answer......inner peace

stjames

[This message has been edited by stjames13 (edited 01-21-2003).]

Thanks

Hi Alison, I think you and I have something in common, I have had an all over itch since April 2002 with the only relief coming over the recent holidays (8 days without an itch absolute heaven)but its back with a vengance. At the same time I also had chronic hives for 3 1/2 months. My rashes to date (4 different types) come and go but the itch remains and does not seem to be linked with the rashes, I have tried every antihistamine and allergy tablet they have with no results, After about 5-6 months using Prednizone I had a bad reaction(3 days throwing up) and stopped using them. I now use a herbal tablet called Bromelain made from the stem of the pineapples supposed to be on a par with Prednizone as an anti inflammatory, the pain in fingers/joints has not completely dissapeared but is not near as bad so my doctor thinks it might just be working for me.it is also supposed to stop the blood platlettes from sticking together forming blood clots. My rhuematologist has now asked me to provide him some information on the Bromelain so why not ask your doctors about it.I take 1/2 a Valium when required and/or a sleeping tablet at night so that I no longer sit up all night scratching and can now cope better during the day.My Doctors are at a loss to explain the itch and say it can just dissapear overnight or alternatively I can have it for another year. Just keep thinking positive. Jaycee.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Jaycee;
    Thank you for responding to Alison and for providing that information. I had never heard of Bromelain - where do you purchase it? I assume, since your doctor asked you to give him information about it, that it was not a prescription. How and where can one learn more about it and obtain it?
    Thanx
    Saysusie

Thanks

Wow! That sounds awful! Have you had allergy test done? I haven't. I am still waiting to see a rheumotologist. Some days my rash doesn't bother me. Other days I have large, angry red patches that itch like mad. I usually stay home when it gets that bad. I dont like the looks of disgust I get from people when I'm trying to discreetly scratch at an itch! Plus it looks bad. Do you have SLE? <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jaycee:
    Hi Alison, I think you and I have something in common, I have had an all over itch since April 2002 with the only relief coming over the recent holidays (8 days without an itch absolute heaven)but its back with a vengance. At the same time I also had chronic hives for 3 1/2 months. My rashes to date (4 different types) come and go but the itch remains and does not seem to be linked with the rashes, I have tried every antihistamine and allergy tablet they have with no results, After about 5-6 months using Prednizone I had a bad reaction(3 days throwing up) and stopped using them. I now use a herbal tablet called Bromelain made from the stem of the pineapples supposed to be on a par with Prednizone as an anti inflammatory, the pain in fingers/joints has not completely dissapeared but is not near as bad so my doctor thinks it might just be working for me.it is also supposed to stop the blood platlettes from sticking together forming blood clots. My rhuematologist has now asked me to provide him some information on the Bromelain so why not ask your doctors about it.I take 1/2 a Valium when required and/or a sleeping tablet at night so that I no longer sit up all night scratching and can now cope better during the day.My Doctors are at a loss to explain the itch and say it can just dissapear overnight or alternatively I can have it for another year. Just keep thinking positive. Jaycee. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks

Saysusie Here in Australia we can purchase Bromelain tablets of 300mg strength either from a Chemist (Pharmacy) or from the health food store. I first heard of them from a Naturopath who happened to mention the problem her husband had with blood clotting his was genetic and his brother had just had part of his leg amputated. When I mentioned I also had problems from time to time with blood clots (not genetic) she recommended 2 tablets 3 times a day 1/2 hour before meals however after reading quite a lot of literature I see that the main tests were done with patients taking 1 tablet 4x a day so I think I might switch to that. I just typed Bromelain into Google and came up with http://www.thorne.com/altmedrev/fulltext/bromelain. I THINK that is the one I printed out 20 pages of a 27 page article (7 pages were references) took it to my GP he read it and said go for it. When I first spoke of it to the rhuematologist he said rubbish however on my last visit he requested a copy of the article I gave to the GP. The section on Cardiovascular & Circulatory applications is interesting re: angina and also take note of the Allergic indications. Jaycee.

Thanks

Alison you have made my day, I have just read your reply and had a really good laugh when I read about the discreet scratching. My husband is the one who gets very embarrassed when he is with me however after 10 months I have passed the embarressment stage but I do stay at home a lot and have restricted my social life but tonight I intend to return to our Dutch Card Club itch and all but that might just be a one off. Regarding allergy testing we all thought (my drs.) it would have to be an allergy but the last tests came back that I did not have a food allergy which surprised them,and no salysalite allergy (he did skin biopsies) so we are now back to square one and I still have my itch. I have noticed recently that the skin on my arms and knees seems to be thickening, I don't know if this is part of Lupus or not. Ill just keep reading Laura's lounge and will probably find out about that from somebody. I think St.James is right I am sure my condition was triggered by stress. Take care. Jaycee

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Jaycee;
    Thank you so much for the information and the web site. I, too, have printed the document and I am reading it now.
    Again
    Thank You
    Saysusie
    PS - since you are being testes, I assume the exzema has been ruled out? That is another auto-immune disease with itching and thickening of the skin. It usually does not accompany Lupus symptoms though!