Thread: I am a question asking monster...

Thanks

Default I am a question asking monster...

Hey everyone!

I have three this time...

What is the longest anyone here has been in a flare?

What is the longest anyone here has gone between flares?

And last, just because you are between flares, does that mean you are in remission or are there other factors?

Thanks!
    "All sounds are potentially dangerous.
    All sounds are potentially medicinal.
    All sounds are beautiful." ~Yoko Ono

Thanks

I don't know how much I can help you out with this one, but here goes. The longest I have been in a flare has been this summer. I have been in a flare since May. Some days are better than others, but I have had a fever everyday and sometimes the pain and fatigue is unbearable. The past 2 days I have started feeling a little better, so I hope my flare is ending. I don't seem to go very long between flares maybe one to two weeks, but my flares don't always last really long either. I don't really know what remission is. I guess you still have mild symptoms but they don't interfere with your life much. I'm still trying to figure out how to balance things. On days I don't feel too bad I tend to do a lot and that sometimes sparks a flare. I wish some others would respond to this post because I'd be curious to know what others have experienced.

Thanks

Default flares

Well, when I was diagnosed at 17 ( 23 years ago) I only had some arthritis. I have had a few aches and stiffness throughout the years but never a major flare until last year. In Sept. of 2002 I was put in the hospital with pleurisy and paracarditis. Anyway, my bloodwork still isn't 'normal' but I have felt great for about a year and a half. I say treat the patient, not the bloodwork. I have been very lucky.

Karen

Thanks

I was diagnosed with lupus at the age of 19 but at the age of 27 my lupus flared up (swollenness, joint pains, my anemia problem was getting worse & kidney problems as well). I had a blood transfusion & chemotherapy for about 6 months & it took me about another 3 to 4 months to say that I felt much better. I am 32 years now & I was afraid of having another lupus flare when I had my second son at the age of 30 but I am glad I didnít have to go through that again. But I did use to get sick all the time with cold & flu, it would take me 2 or more weeks to recover. At first I didnít know it was because of the lupus that my immune system was weak & that is why I was sick all the time. But now itís been almost 3 years that I havenít had a really bad cold like I used too & a flare up.

And the question about remission the doctor hasnít said any thing to me yet? But all I could say my blood work is getting better from before, I canít remember the last time I was sick for weeks & I have more energy than I had before. I will ask my doctor about remission & find out a little more about it.

I hope this helps
    Devotedmom

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Unfortunately, for most of us, there is no way of predicting how long a flare will last when it comes, nor is there any way of predicting how long a remission will last when it comes. It is frequently said about lupus that the only thing that is predictable about lupus is it's unpredictability. So we have no way of forecasting how long a flare will last or how long a remission will last. Sometimes changes in symptoms or lab tests predict future changes.
    Some people will have a course where their lupus flares-up and then simmers down and goes into remission. On the other hand, some have a more chronic (long-lasting) course where they have a chronic state of flare and have symptoms day-in and day-out. Then, there are some who have remission that is long-lasting.
    I, personally, have been in remission for years. But, I suffer greatly from my Fibromyalgia.
    I guess there are no conclusive answers to your questions, but I hope we have helped a bit.
    Saysusie

Thanks

Definitely a help... I am wondering though, if you stop having symptoms are you automatically in remission? Like if I don't have symptoms today but have them tomorrow was I in remission today, or.. ??? I mean can it be THAT short? Just curious... as usual.
    "All sounds are potentially dangerous.
    All sounds are potentially medicinal.
    All sounds are beautiful." ~Yoko Ono

Thanks

Hi Sole,

From a medical point of view, not having symptoms, then having them the next day is just called a good day. Remission basically describes a prolonged period of time free of symptoms.

Hope that helps