Thread: Safe birth control pill?

Thanks

Default Safe birth control pill?

Looking for some advice--is it safe for someone with Lupus to be on the Pill--if so, is there one better than the others or something I should be looking for or avoiding.

I am approaching this with caution. I want to minimize the chances of one more medication upsetting the mostly effective apple cart.

Thanks for responding.

Ellinod

Blog Entries
    Thanks

It depends - if you have blood involvement in your lupus, it may up your risk of cardiac events.
    If your lupus gets triggered by hormones, it may up your risk of flares
    Some lupus patients thinks it helps them

I can't take it because of cardiac involvement patient and prone to thrombosis. I just started mtx tho and hoping to have an double form of bc soon like an IUD or the copper wire thing.
    Last edited by justomegirlindallas; 01-25-2010 at 12:56 PM.
    32 YO Wife, Mother and Advocate
    Lupus - Subclavian Bypass May of 2009. Ectopic Lentis, Scoliosis(not lupus related)
    Current medications: Aspirin, Plaquenil, multi vitamins, folic acid, Methotrexate, Tramadol PRN

You can find me on facebook at www.facebook.com/sororenotis
    Please tell me you are from here and who you are if you add me there.

I work full time and Leader for International Autoimmune Arthritis Movement
    http://www.iaamovement.org/

Thanks

I've read about sooo many different views of women taking bc. Im on Ocella right now and I've been on it for almost a year with no bad side effects. Both my doctors agreed that I could go on it. It was initially just to get me on something for my acne becuz my other acne meds were a big lupus no no apparently. I would talk with your doctor about it. Mine were completely ok with putting me on the one that Im on, but I've read some are especially bad for women with lupus and as justomegirlindallas said it might not be ok becuz of certain things with how lupus effects you.